Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. just new hear.

I am going to be buying a Polaris ATV and I am looking at either the 550XP or the 550 Touring. I would like to get the touring for my son and I but i want to find out if it would fit in my GMC 6.6' box with an ATV bed riser. I am pretty sure the XP would fitwith teh front end raised up but not sure about the extra 4" of the touring model.

Any ideas from anyone.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
361 Posts
unsure about if it would fit or not, but , if you are planning on carrying a passenger more than 30% of the time (or even 10% if you ask me) id go for the touring, its more comfortable and way more stable.

as far as length , the touring is supposedly 86.5Inches or 220cm
your box is 6feet 6 inches as i understood, (200cm)
if you are going to add bumpers to the front or rear its going to add some length..
The polaris site states overall length, and i mean, some of it can be "cut back" as there is some overhang on the rear, (so the rear tires would touch the tail gate and the fenders would go over the tailgate)
this being said, it might just save enough room for the atv to fit in (i dont have a touring NOR pickup so this is just an educated guess)
but id watch out as for the front of the atv to not hit the rear window and smash it (a rack might take away some room here aswell)

Conclusion: having neither to really give you a good straight answer, i say its "possible" but im unsure,
you might need to set ramps so the front tires ride over them and make the atv stay at an angle to make it in the bed.

another option would be to take off the tailgate, and get a bed/rack extender or what ever it is called (3 tubes that swing out to about the length of the tailgate which would give you enough room)

if the last option would work for you, you could take the tailgate off ...

hope i helped.

P.S. welcome to the forum

·
Registered
665 Posts
I hate to rain on the parade but the truck is too short for the touring or regular length 550.

I have a sportsman 500 and cannot get my bed closed on my2008 f150 extra cab with 6'5 ft bed.

Even if you could get it closed the extra weight from the ATV and the RV would easily bottom out your shocks.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for you imput as it all helps but the key piece that i was hoping to get was how much room does the "ATV Bed Riser" gain when being used.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please see the link to website below and you will see how the bed riser allows the ATV to fit into a space that is too short. The higher the front is raised the les space the ATV takes up.

OgreMade | Main

You can actually get a 48" or 49" wheelbase ATV into a 5.5' foot box with the use of the bed riser.

The key thing I was hoping was to find someone that uses the riser already and can tell me how much room you can save and/or fot into a 6.5' box as there is a limit at to how high you can go in the front.

I appreciate your comments.

Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Have you contacted them and asked them? I've never seen that company before. Or that product.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Please see the link to website below and you will see how the bed riser allows the ATV to fit into a space that is too short. The higher the front is raised the les space the ATV takes up.

OgreMade | Main

You can actually get a 48" or 49" wheelbase ATV into a 5.5' foot box with the use of the bed riser.

The key thing I was hoping was to find someone that uses the riser already and can tell me how much room you can save and/or fot into a 6.5' box as there is a limit at to how high you can go in the front.

I appreciate your comments.

Thanks, Greg
This is something I am gong to build for my self! Steel instead of alum...
I saw it somewhere before, maybe that link maybe uTube I don't remember but I like the idea!

I also have a GMC W/6.5' box and if you look there is a 3500 6.5' box with a Sportsman in it in their gallery pics!

GREAT idea!

CW

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
A 550 will fit with a riser, for sure. (My Sportsman 700 does. The gate is not closed, but you can see its not too long by much.) The Touring, maybe...

CW

·
Registered
9 Posts
built my own rack for my tacoma. used a heavy locking steel box as the base bolted to my bed. tailgate came off anyway cuz its pretty weak. same kinda rack in a full size might let you close tailgate. 09 Sportsman 800 EFI BTW.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
hoss. you might want to start looking at the last post date on the threads... this was last posted in in 2012...

·
Registered
2 Posts
hoss. you might want to start looking at the last post date on the threads... this was last posted in in 2012...
I am grateful for his post, not sure why you have to make him feel dumb. I have been searching for pictures of a home made riser. Now I have plans I can use to make one. Thanks for sharing Hoss!!! This simple yet sturdy design will work great in my Tacoma! I will post pics when I get it done!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I am grateful for his post, not sure why you have to make him feel dumb. I have been searching for pictures of a home made riser. Now I have plans I can use to make one. Thanks for sharing Hoss!!! This simple yet sturdy design will work great in my Tacoma! I will post pics when I get it done!
Just pointing out that the people asking the questions were either helped already, or no longer need the help. Nothing wrong with starting a new post if you have you own questions, or researching for answers to your question through old posts, but trying to help with questions that were done over a year ago, like you are, is a bit late. Glad you found what you were looking for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just pointing out that the people asking the questions were either helped already, or no longer need the help. Nothing wrong with starting a new post if you have you own questions, or researching for answers to your question through old posts, but trying to help with questions that were done over a year ago, like you are, is a bit late. Glad you found what you were looking for.
He was not answering a question, just adding his pics of the riser he made and was excited about. Why start a new thread? When I was searching for riser plans, I was glad there were a few examples in one thread. When posts have great information, they should be bumped. Whether the information is important to everyone or not.

I guess my real problem is I have been a member of dozens of forums for over 15 years and get really tired of the members that feel a need to belittle others. The reason we join forums is to expand our knowledge of a hobby.

I know I am new to this forum and it appears like I am stirring a pot, but really I am just venting and asking everyone to just be nice and help each other have a great experience. Every forum has the sarcastic group that comments on every single thread. I just don't' understand why.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts