Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Western MA
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having gone to the dark side (sold quads and bought a General) and returned mostly unscathed (back to two quads with a 3rd on the way when my daughter is old enough), I find this video to be darn accurate...

·
Registered
Western MA
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your link no worky Tom...

·
Registered
562 Posts
I am not near as experience as many on here when it comes to ATV's and SXS'.......I own both but I have more time/experience on my Sportsman than I do my RZR. The way this video was made I thought it was just a joke the first couple minutes in but seems the narrator is serious, just trying to use some comedy to get his point across.

The things that stood out to me. In my experience (again limited) on some of the more technical trails we ride at Brimstone, the sportsman is a lot easier to get up and down than my RZR so him saying that SXS's take no skill and anyone can get in them and go anywhere seems wrong to me.

Also his opinion that SXS riders are a bunch of drunk littering party animals compared to ATV riders seems odd to me. My experience is both "groups" of people come from similar backgrounds and typically act about the same. Some people like to drink drive and litter and some don't. I've seen just as many of those folks on ATV's as I have SXS's.

My last thought was I don't think the manufacturers are ruining the market by putting high priced SXS's out there. Supply and demand rules in this market. If more people were wanting to buy low priced ATV's than there would be more available. The fact they are making so many SXS's at high prices tells me there is demand for such. The author may not like the number of SXS's out there but the customers are the ones that dictate what is on the trails. You can bet if people were walking past the $20,000 SXS at the dealer and forming a line to buy a $5,000.00 ATV, they would be pumping out $5,000 ATV's.

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
1,228 Posts
Unless you’ve spent plenty of time on each machine then you have no argument. You can instantly tell when you see a sxs group , who is new to the sport “described in the video above” and who spent the better half of their life riding quads and bikes . Can’t put everyone into the same stereotype . I spent lots of time arguing the last time someone posted this video on this forum. I won’t this time. Here’s y’all a pic just for fun lol
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
Western MA
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, there are generalization and stereotypes in the video BUT a plenty of reality to keep it real enough that my experience relates...

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
1,228 Posts
Yes, there are generalization and stereotypes in the video BUT a plenty of reality to keep it real enough that my experience relates...
Yep and I’ll agree to that. But as the saying goes there’s an as$hole in every crowd. Same thing with the wake boat crowd . That’s life. Not just the off road world. Not bragging but I bet Iv got well over 100k miles in 30+ years spent on 3wheelers /atvs and bikes. 7 years of gncc racing . Lots of ER visits . So I have earned my wings too set my lazy ass in my sxs and enjoy the ride and take the kids wife/grandkids along. That being said I do still currently own 4 atvs . No law says you can’t enjoy both.

·
Registered
Western MA
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I enjoyed my General. I prefer quads though. I just got a laugh out of the video and found a few truths in it... but am in no way trying to bash anyone or start a war between factions. If I wanted that, I'd post this video in the RZR forums...LOL.

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
1,228 Posts
But In general I will shamefully have to agree with all you guys. Seems there’s way more D-bags on sxs’s. The kind that make you cringe when you see them on the trails. It’s a huge percentage but not all. Some of us are past our mid life crisis lol

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
1,228 Posts
I enjoyed my General. I prefer quads though. I just got a laugh out of the video and found a few truths in it... but am in no way trying to bash anyone or start a war between factions. If I wanted that, I'd post this video in the RZR forums...LOL.
Next time get a turbo machine. World of difference. Iv previously had 800s 900xp and a maverick 1000 non turbo. All boring until I got the most recent . It’s a beast and fun even on flat ground .

·
Premium Member
13,727 Posts
I am not near as experience as many on here when it comes to ATV's and SXS'.......I own both but I have more time/experience on my Sportsman than I do my RZR. The way this video was made I thought it was just a joke the first couple minutes in but seems the narrator is serious, just trying to use some comedy to get his point across.

The things that stood out to me. In my experience (again limited) on some of the more technical trails we ride at Brimstone, the sportsman is a lot easier to get up and down than my RZR so him saying that SXS's take no skill and anyone can get in them and go anywhere seems wrong to me.

Also his opinion that SXS riders are a bunch of drunk littering party animals compared to ATV riders seems odd to me. My experience is both "groups" of people come from similar backgrounds and typically act about the same. Some people like to drink drive and litter and some don't. I've seen just as many of those folks on ATV's as I have SXS's.

My last thought was I don't think the manufacturers are ruining the market by putting high priced SXS's out there. Supply and demand rules in this market. If more people were wanting to buy low priced ATV's than there would be more available. The fact they are making so many SXS's at high prices tells me there is demand for such. The author may not like the number of SXS's out there but the customers are the ones that dictate what is on the trails. You can bet if people were walking past the $20,000 SXS at the dealer and forming a line to buy a $5,000.00 ATV, they would be pumping out $5,000 ATV's.
Solid reply!!!!! The Dirt Obsession dude is DEAD serious. As many of you know I'm as subtle as a sledge hammer, LOL. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I may have gotten into it with him, but just once!!!! He's a good dude we actually smoothed things out after I tore him a new one!!!! I def respect him he isn't the type of beta male that gets all pissy and takes his ball, tucks his tail, and goes home bitching and moaning!! But I have to agree with him on the SxS deal, 100%!!!!! The TARDS driving them now have NO CLUE!!!!! If you don't know they are all over FB!!! The trails have been trashed by these azzhats, I see it every time I ride a "public" spot. I agree 100% about the $$$$$$!!!! The market is dictating that's what the consumer wants and that's BIG money SxSs!!!!

·
Registered
Western MA
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As many of you know I'm as subtle as a sledge hammer, LOL. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I may have gotten into it with him, but just once!!!!
Meh, you're just a big, misunderstood teddy bear deep down... 🥴

• Haha
Reactions: bp405

·
Premium Member
13,727 Posts
You know @taken just a big guy with a BIG heart that tries to please but at the same time is very protective, LOL!! You get me Bro, haha!!!!

Reactions: taken

·
Registered
Western MA
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh yeah brother... I get ya 100% and would go into battle at your side anytime... 🍻

Reactions: bp405

·
Super Moderator
7,192 Posts
I haven't watched the video yet, but judging by the comments here I'm guessing he says sxs owners are all a bunch of dicks. lol
My thoughts are the worst of the sxs owners are younger and/or never rode atv's. (you know, back in the dark ages before sxs's.) There are more than enough a$$holes on atv's as well. Problem is a sxs will take out an atv if they tangle on the trail. The main issue seems to be a total lack of respect between the two factions. I still believe it take some skills to ride an atv while anyone can grab a steering wheel and stand on the gas. Both are equally guilty of going off trail and tearing things up and I don't believe one group trashes areas up any more (or less) than the other. I own both and have a bunch of time with both. I enjoy both and ride them the same. I've never been about speed when riding and have packed out my fair share of trail trash that I've found. The sxs can pack out a LOT more trash... :)

Reactions: taken and Tnsniper

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
1,228 Posts
I haven't watched the video yet, but judging by the comments here I'm guessing he says sxs owners are all a bunch of dicks. lol
My thoughts are the worst of the sxs owners are younger and/or never rode atv's. (you know, back in the dark ages before sxs's.) There are more than enough a$$holes on atv's as well. Problem is a sxs will take out an atv if they tangle on the trail. The main issue seems to be a total lack of respect between the two factions. I still believe it take some skills to ride an atv while anyone can grab a steering wheel and stand on the gas. Both are equally guilty of going off trail and tearing things up and I don't believe one group trashes areas up any more (or less) than the other. I own both and have a bunch of time with both. I enjoy both and ride them the same. I've never been about speed when riding and have packed out my fair share of trail trash that I've found. The sxs can pack out a LOT more trash... :)
This all brings back memories from when we rode sport quads. Then the utility guys kept getting bigger and bigger tires . We was all running 18-20” tires for years with zero problems, then it got so bad we all had to switch to utility atvs . We hated every single guy riding them up until we had to Join them so I can definitely relate!
Well it’s honestly the same problem now. My machine came with 30s. Nope! Way too small had to go to 32s just to even remotely keep up. Now everyone is on 35s making it so rutted out it makes it a nightmare for us . I’m not going to 35s so I guess I’ll have to go around some of the huge rocks at windrock and just gripe about the guys on huge tires . I don’t think it ever ends in this sport.

·
Super Moderator
7,192 Posts
Okay, so I just wasted eight and a half minutes of my life watching this video. Absolutely everything he said can/does apply to atv's as well. There's always going to be ruts that are to deep or a water hole that is too deep. Before sxs's came along there were trucks and jeeps running 40"+ tires. Trying to pin all of the issues our sport faces one group is asinine. Dirt xx is a joke.

·
Registered
2018 Polaris 850 SP Camo
332 Posts
Around here a lot of our used to be more technical fun atv trails are being turned into wide high speed super highways for SXS's that for atv's is just riding a flat road. Some trails have been bulldozed wider in sections and then filled with sand or dirt. A person being stupid on an atv is most often only endangering himself. A person being stupid in a SXS is dangerous to everyone around them. Seeing this more and more. Seeing more and more oversized SXS machines riding on size restricted trails and they don't care. Have met 60 plus inch wide machines on 50 inch trails many times. Several of us were sitting off to the side at a three way intersection eating lunch. A big Canned Ham SXS came out of one side and came close to us and poured it on and roostered all of us with dirt, gravel, and dust, and then took off down the trail.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So here's my vote for quads even though SxS outsell them 8-2. I sold an Eoctec powered chain drive woods buggy that no SxS could hang with hill climbing and took the money and bought 2 Sportsmans. I don't feel the need to attempt every hill anymore and lifeflight is overrated, been there done that too. I refer to a woodsbuggy passenger as the giggle seat but a SxS just ain't got it. The wife loves riding her own and opportunities for riding areas is greatest for Quads. SxS are not big guy friendly, the majority have very small cockpits, explains why you see so many parked in groups for the social experience. You can own a quality CJ for the same price as a glorified golf cart if all you want to do is ride behind a windshield and cruise back road style trails. Just me and my opinion.

·
Registered
Western MA
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good points Bubba. I didn't fit in the General well at all and I'm only 6'1" / 205#. My knees always felt bent and I was dying to stretch out after a short period of time. It was also useless for utility work the way I wanted to use it. There is a reason they always show a Ranger doing utility work on a big, wide open farm or ranch. When working on a tight wooded trail, I could never see my trailer/splitter/chipper behind me very well and backing up was a chore despite the thing having a factory backup (and forward view) camera. On a quad, looking over my shoulder does the trick quite well. I'd say the only things I liked better was the warmth on trail rides because of the windshield, roof and heater/defroster along with the ability to have a booze cruise when the wife took over driving duty. Everything is a compromise I guess and if i were a wealthy man, I'd have both. They both have their place out there but going back to the video, a certain crowd seems to lean more in one direction. Kind of like there is a different crowd on the F150 forums than in the Super Duty forums. One place has more subwoofer questions and the other has more 5th wheel towing questions. I'm guessing you have an idea of which is which. Sure, those are more blanket statements / observations and there are always plenty of exceptions to the rule. We just seem to remember the majority and forget the minority when it comes to experiences like this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts