Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my 850 xp stolen and returned in bad shape. The ignition was ripped out and the muffler was removed. I got the ignition put back in and i installed a big gun muffler. Now the quad will not start unless i am giving it gas and if i let off the gas it dies immediately. While driving it runs great but as soon as i let off gas it dies every time.

Is it an ignition wiring problem or an issue with the muffler?

Please help!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It may help to know that when the quad was stolen it was ridden without the muffler for almost 150 miles.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Check the air gap in the ETC first; the two contacts should stay open while you are "giving" it throttle and they should be closed "touching" at idle.

To check it:
Take the black cover off the thumb throttle housing. Inside you will see the lever with 2 grey wires going into it. On one end is the pivot point for the thumb throttle, the other end pulls the throttle cable. Next to the cable pull is a set of springs with a square-ish hole next to them. Inside the hole, you'll see the contacts for the two grey wires. At idle, not touching the thumb throttle, those contacts should be touching each other. Next, slowly push the thumb throttle like you're giving her gas. Those contacts should separate to about 2mm and STAY separated that distance all the way through til you hit full throttle position. My guess right now, is that they are staying open while in the idle position too, which causes the throttle safety to activate; killing the bike. IF that is the case and they are staying open at idle, then follow these procedures to adjust it so they close at idle:

1. Slide the boot back far enough to expose the inline cable adjuster sleeve and loosen the adjuster locknut.

2. Remove the (4) screws and cover from the RH control.

3. With handlebars centered and wheels pointing forward, slowly turn the adjuster sleeve counter-clockwise (out) just until the gap is removed between the throttle arm and the throttle arm stop (see illustration below).
NOTE: While moving the adjuster sleeve, “flip” the throttle lever slightly to remove slack in the cable.

4. Turn the cable adjuster sleeve clockwise (in) 1.5 - 2 turns; tighten locknut and reinstall boot. After this adjustment there should be .079-.118” (2-3 mm) gap between throttle arm and throttle arm stop.

5. Reinstall the RH control cover and ensure the O-ring is properly in place. Securely tighten the (4) screws.
6. Place the vehicle in PARK and start the engine. Turn the handlebars from full left to full right while listening for any change in engine speed. If engine speed changes, loosen the locknut and turn the adjuster sleeve clockwise (in) an additional 1/2 turn and repeat this step.

Hope this helps ya! And congrats on getting her back atleast!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks AMDFOREVER, i will try this first thing tomorrow. Any chance something could have happened while the a-holes that stole it were running it? Only reason i ask is that i never had this problem prior to the theft.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My buddy's scrambler 850 had the same issue. Would run under throttle but would die as soon as he let off. Turned out his timing gear had jumped.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Well...obviously they could have done ANY thing to it lol. They could have messed up the cable and/or its routing to the throttle, thus creating this issue.

...I am curious as to why they removed the muffler though. Was it just the actual muffler or did they remove the whole exhaust system? Cause that could cause it to lean out. How do the spark plugs look? Look for signs of them being in a lean condition. This chart can help ya out. http://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to the police they removed the muffler because it had a cool sound! It was just the muffler that was removed.

I don't really know enough about these to mess with a timing gear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i messed with it a little bit and i can get it running at about 880-950 rpm but if i give it any gas and let off it dies right away. still need to replace plugs but if that does not help i may have to take it to local shop.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Throttle cable adjustment? How much play is at the thumb? Should be 1/8" roughly. More may also cause the issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my insurance company would not cover because garage was not locked. They did catch the guys but it was a bunch of kids. Hopefully mommy and daddy have enough money to cover the estimate i got.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it seems a little sloppy but to be honest i don't recall what it was like before. it runs great as long as i keep it at 3000 rpm or higher, anything lower just kills it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts