Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Polaris ATV I just put on a new carburetor new fuel filter and a spark plug new air filter fresh gas ATV will start idle fine But immediately bogged down and tries to die when you give it any kind of gas now I can pull the choke out partially and it will run better but still not right if you have any clues or any suggestions it Me up

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
what are we working on?

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
Yeah give it some time the carb gurus will get to you. I cut my teeth in electronically controlled systems. So not so much help in this department.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
If it bogs when giving it air (opening the throttle) it needs to jetted to the flow characteristics of the engine (the main jet and slide needle need to be worked with to improve fuel mixture) - just because a carb 'FITS' does not mean it will 'PERFORM' as desired - If you bought a Mikuni BST34 counterfeit, the jets from the old carb might work in it, but if it's not a counterfeit and just a look alike, then the jets are not marked and Mikuni jets might not fit the threads - the jets have to compliment the volume of the air passages within the carb body, so the OEM jets might be too big or too small - find out what kind of jets are compatible and within about a days time of jet changing, you should have it running adequately.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it bogs when giving it air (opening the throttle) it needs to jetted to the flow characteristics of the engine (the main jet and slide needle need to be worked with to improve fuel mixture) - just because a carb 'FITS' does not mean it will 'PERFORM' as desired - If you bought a Mikuni BST34 counterfeit, the jets from the old carb might work in it, but if it's not a counterfeit and just a look alike, then the jets are not marked and Mikuni jets might not fit the threads - the jets have to compliment the volume of the air passages within the carb body, so the OEM jets might be too big or too small - find out what kind of jets are compatible and within about a days time of jet changing, you should have it running adequately.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Before you spend a bunch of time setting up the new, cheap carb, have you considered refurbishing the original, much better quality carb. If you have a clone, many of the parts from it will fit the old carb, and if you do a fantastic job of cleaning and blowing out every hole and crevice, it will likely run much better than it ever would using the newer, but lower quality carb.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Before you spend a bunch of time setting up the new, cheap carb, have you considered refurbishing the original, much better quality carb. If you have a clone, many of the parts from it will fit the old carb, and if you do a fantastic job of cleaning and blowing out every hole and crevice, it will likely run much better than it ever would using the newer, but lower quality carb.
That is not out of the question

·
Registered
167 Posts
I’ve restored 4 of this era of these awesome tanks, and this is the endpoint I reached with every one of them after many hours of trying to get the cheap Chinese carbs to run to my satisfaction.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts