Polaris ATV Forum banner

ATV wont start

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  IHI 
#1 ·
Hi there, hope some one can help me? :werd:

I have a Sportsman 500 EFI, 2008 that won't start. I recently replaced the battery and it started fine but not now. When I turn the key to the first position the dash console lights up as normal but it does not make the initial sound - hard to describe but I have always said the "fuel injection" not sure if that what it is but it makes a small ticking sound for a few seconds and the same again when you switch it off.

When I turn the key to the second position it does absolutely nothing.

I have also noticed that for some reason the winch does not operate when the key is in the first position and only makes a loud click when I try to use it - not sure if this is relevant or not.

I have the one week old battery back on trickle charge, just in case the cold killed it but I really do not think this is the issue but I could be wrong.

Really hoping that someone online can help or better still live close by and is willing to help some one out before I have to take it to the dealer??

Regards

Mark

See less See more
#2 ·
So you no longer hear the fuel pump prime and machine is electrically dead?

Did you try hooking a charger to the battery to jump start it in the machine while it was hooked up?

Sounding like a blem battery internally possibly.

#4 ·
You could put the battery that may possibly be bad back in the machine and use anything to jump start it and see if it will now work properly, your car/truck, tractor, battery charger, etc...

If you hook another battery up and things are normal again, well...there's your problem LOL. Just had to go thru this when giving wifes quad a once over. Would'nt do shit when you turned the key on, but hook a battery charger up and it's start and run just fine. Unhook charger, nothing, put charger back on and it's fire right up and everything worked as it should.

Same thing happened to my truck a few weeks back, just enough juice when it was -22*F air temp outside to make all the gauges do funky stuff and truck making all sort of clicky noises, but that way it. Put charger on it and vrrrrm, off to the races. New battery fixed both...and Ive had bad batteries from the factory, stuff happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.