Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all,

I recently purchased a 2018 Polaris Sportsman 850. All is great, however, the off-road light bar in front is hooked up to the battery without any fuse. I noticed a wiring harness coming up to the front under the lid that does not connect to anything. Is that a fused auxiliary harness that I can run my lightbar through? If so, how would I connect the light to it since the light bar has only a positive and negative terminal (no harness)? If my hypothesis is correct, is there some auxiliary switch somewhere on the machine that controls it? My goal is to connect everything the same way a stock lightbar from the factory would come. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Engineering

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Trunk Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
2,499 Posts
Nope that isn’t an aux plug. You have two orange and white wires coming out of the lume near the battery with shrink wrapped ends. You also have an orange and white in the centre light pod. Those are all keyed power, fused, used for auxiliary items.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
15,182 Posts
Good evening all,

I recently purchased a 2018 Polaris Sportsman 850. All is great, however, the off-road light bar in front is hooked up to the battery without any fuse. I noticed a wiring harness coming up to the front under the lid that does not connect to anything. Is that a fused auxiliary harness that I can run my lightbar through? If so, how would I connect the light to it since the light bar has only a positive and negative terminal (no harness)? If my hypothesis is correct, is there some auxiliary switch somewhere on the machine that controls it? My goal is to connect everything the same way a stock lightbar from the factory would come. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks! View attachment 171334
View attachment 171333
Welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
15,182 Posts
The arrow in your second picture is pointing to the diagnostic plug to hook up to Polaris diagnostic computer digital wrench.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
if you just want the lightbar to have a fuse wouldn't it be a lot easier to just add an in-line fuse the the existing wiring..

Personally I run my lightbar off a hot when ignition is on source and with a fuse. Running just off the battery is a good way to accidentally have the light turned on when the machine is off and you will end up with a dead battery.

·
Super Moderator
16,283 Posts
"the off-road light bar in front is hooked up to the battery without any fuse. "

If the light were connected directly to the battery it would be on all the time no matter if the machine was on or off or even if the key was on or off. There has to be a switch. Its probably beside the display on the headlight pod where they usually are unless the PO tied the light into the OEM headlights in which case it is already fused and switched. Accessory lights are normally connected to the orange/white accessory wires that are provided for that purpose and are key-on and fused through the fuse box acc fuse. Any accessory switches are installed in the cut-out spaces imprinted in the inside of the top pod cover beside the display.
You need to trace the wiring from the light bar to see where it connects before you start changing anything.
There will be two accessory wires with a spade terminal on the end that is covered with black heat shrink tubing. They are usually located inside the headlight pod but may be somewhere around the battery depending on the particular machine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for your responses! All your replies help a lot. Didn't even know these units had diagnostics. Too bad Digital Wrench is so expensive to use. As far as the orange and white wires, I remember seeing them; I'll use those. I thought about an in-line fuse as well. I was hoping to have as close to OEM of an install as possible, but I might do that as well since it does the job just as well. I'll look into the light bar harness part number as well. As far as the USB cable, the previous owner told me he used that to charge his phone while mounted on the handlebars. Not sure how it was connected to the power; he just left the cable there. And as far as a switch, there is a red one mounted on the fender, however, it is a basic one, not the ones with a breaker built-in to keep from shorting.

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
3,841 Posts
Thank you everyone for your responses! All your replies help a lot. Didn't even know these units had diagnostics. Too bad Digital Wrench is so expensive to use. As far as the orange and white wires, I remember seeing them; I'll use those. I thought about an in-line fuse as well. I was hoping to have as close to OEM of an install as possible, but I might do that as well since it does the job just as well. I'll look into the light bar harness part number as well. As far as the USB cable, the previous owner told me he used that to charge his phone while mounted on the handlebars. Not sure how it was connected to the power; he just left the cable there. And as far as a switch, there is a red one mounted on the fender, however, it is a basic one, not the ones with a breaker built-in to keep from shorting.
Switch with built in breaker? 🤷‍♂️…..anyway, if you want the ideal accessory wiring, get a light bar harness with relay, it is not only fused, the relay isolates the accessory/lamp load from switch. They are cheap to, here’s one for 11$.
Nilight - NI-WA 02A LED Light Bar Wiring Harness Kit 12V On Off Switch Power Relay Blade Fuse for Off Road Lights LED Work Light,2 years Warranty https://a.co/d/1Soz8T6

1 - 10 of 10 Posts