Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sportsman 800 EFI
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Im a total neebie, just got a used bike and having some issues. It’s a 2012 sportsman 800 efi.

The awd is no longer working and I get code 42 (Engine Temp Sensor Circuit: Short to Ground or Engine Temp Sensor Circuit: Open or Short to Battery). The fuses look good, and the fan runs if I remove the temp sensor. I haven’t chased it down further (has rad relocate and need to remove it to get to the electrical).

Any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
9,724 Posts
was the gear selector in "L" or "H"?? Needs to be!!

·
Registered
2012 Sportsman 800 EFI
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Long delay, pandemic life.
Anyways, the awd has power and does come on. I’m waiting on the thermistor. I was reading another thread and it said if you disconnect the cable and the fan comes on, the thermistor is good, not bad. Is that right? If it’s not the thermistor what is next to try?

·
Premium Member
9,724 Posts
right so if you pull the temps sensor plug off the fan will run if the sensor is bad. if it doesn't then the fan is bad.

·
Registered
2012 Sportsman 800 EFI
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay cool. Hope it arrives tomorrow and I’ll install. Do I need to drain the radiator to replace the temp sensor?

·
Premium Member
9,724 Posts
no some coolant will drain out but its minimal. just top it off.

·
Premium Member
9,724 Posts
no prob anytime!! let us know how it goes!!!

·
Registered
2012 Sportsman 800 EFI
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fan comes on! Thanks for the help.

the other issue is that it has trouble turning over. Battery is 12.8 volts, so that isn’t the problem. It clicks but doesn’t engage the starter. If I put it in neutral and roll it back a couple feet it starts right up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did it work when you changed it out, I’m having the same issues with mine, along with hot engine and battery flashing

·
Registered
2012 Sportsman 800 EFI
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems to be working fine with the new sensor. Still
Have issues with starting it. New solenoid is on order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Seems to be working fine with the new sensor. Still
Have issues with starting it. New solenoid is on order.

So the check engine light went away? Did you ever get a battery light flashing also

·
Registered
2012 Sportsman 800 EFI
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Never had engine light or battery light. Fan just didn’t come on and I had those error codes in the system diagnostics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Never had engine light or battery light. Fan just didn’t come on and I had those error codes in the system diagnostics.

Thanks for answering, I have a different issue I guess lol

·
Registered
2012 Sportsman 800 EFI
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for answering, I have a different issue I guess lol
What does the diagnostic say? Turn the ignition to power 3 times then leave in power. Will run diagnostics and tell you the codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What does the diagnostic say? Turn the ignition to power 3 times then leave in power. Will run diagnostics and tell you the codes.

It’s code 42, I’ve got that part, I’ve been playing around with it, and now the hot engine has gone away, and I have just the battery flashing, check engine went off too

1 - 18 of 18 Posts