Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to the forum! This is my first post. This is a great forum with a wealth of knowledge! I'm really hoping someone can help. I need to get my awd to work. I don't need the speedometer and I really don't want to purchase a new speedometer for $350-400 just to get my awd working. Here's the issue:

I have '02 Polaris Sportsman 700. The speedometer cluster had to be disconnected. In doing so, I read on this forum, that the awd will no longer work because it goes through the speedometer. I researched on the forum and found the AWD Bypass fix/hack. I thought that was my silver bullet. I spliced in a ground wire to the brown white striped wire (circled in yellow in the pic). I turned the ignition key and nothing. It would not start up or turn over. It was completely dead. I removed the bypass and it started right up.

Does anyone understand why this would happen? If this isn't the right fix what can I do to get my awd working?

I've attached some pics of the '02 - '03 actual wiring, the schematic and the awd troubleshooting process flows from the service manual. I'm hoping this might help someone else facing this or a similar issue.

fyi...I disconnected the speedometer cluster because water got into it and it was going hay wire. It was flickering and flashing. However, the interesting part is there were short period of times when it did work correctly and the AWD light would turn on. Based on that and the AWD was working fine before the speedometer issue, I could be wrong but I don't think there's an issue with the AWD switch or light.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
**Update - Resolution** After some more troubleshooting I found that it is the gray wire that I need to ground, Not the brown white striped wire. I'm pretty sure this applies to both 2002 & 2003 Sportsman 700s. Possibly more, you would have to check the wiring on other years and models to see if it's the same. One of the things that tipped me off that the brown white striped wire should not be grounded is that the service manual troubleshooting process flows asked several times to confirm that there's 12v power on the brown white striped wire.

After grounding the gray wire the awd light comes on. I jacked the entire atv up and tested to make sure that the front wheels engage and they do. I still need to take it for full test drive. An interesting note I'll mention is regardless of whether the switch is on or off the atv appears to stay in awd mode. I'm going to test that some more but that's my initial finding.

I hope this helps someone else so they don't have to spend the many hours I put into researching, troubleshooting and trial & error!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts