Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
New here and desperate for help. If I power the positive wire only of the hillard and measure the chassi to the negative wire should I see 12v? Also i ohm tested and got 20 ohms each side. I also have continuity between the + and - wire on each magnet. Is that right?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi look i haven't had time to read all the post but i just bought a 97 Explorer 500 it had NO AWD working its only showing around 10v at the coils but the battery is stuff anyway so i stripped down the hubs so it was just the large washer that sticks to the magnet when i power it up it only just sticks but there was a small gap between the outter ring/ seal sleeve and the washer just got a pin punch couple of taps a round the back edge of the ring/seal sleeve to it just made contact with the washer and presto huge difference reassembled and AWD works fine you will need to remove the brake caliper to get in.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Good for you!

The Armature plate is not supposed to stick tight to the magnet - in operation it has to turn with the Hilliard clutch. What happens is the armature is engaged with the Hilliard by way of tabs in notches - when the magnet is energized, the armature provides resistance so the Hilliard stops turning momentarily the ramp under the Hilliard then pushes the rollers out and the rollers bind between the ramp and the hub effective locking the hub to the drive shaft which causes the front wheels to have pulling power when the rear wheels slip.

Understanding the principle makes repair easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2003 scrambler 500 4x4

Update

Found and repaired

It is always a ground, but never think of only a battery wire or coil wire ground. It was the rev limiter bolted on the inner frame under cdi box. Over reactions to awd problems and people tear into the coil. Clean ALL your grounds. Regulator rectifier, rev limiter, engine strap, battery ground, ignition coil, ect.... just do it before anything else.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts