Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a piece I came across.Perhaps it is old news to most of you.Thought i would post it anyway.

This procedure "tricks" the AWD system, and you will not find it in the Polaris Owner's Manual.

How to engage AWD engine braking:

Pull up to the edge of the hill slightly on the down hill side.
LOOK BEHIND YOU - make sure it is safe to back up!
Put the ATV in reverse, HOLD the reverse over-ride button, and give it enough throttle to make the rear tires break loose (and engage AWD in reverse).
Select low range or high range as needed, depending on how steep the slope is, and let it just idle down the hill. Beware - if you feel like it is going too slow and you give it a little gas, the AWD will disengage!

However, if you have a HeelClicker kit in your clutch, you CAN give it a little bit of gas and get on down the hill without unlocking it.

When you get to the bottom, just go a little faster and they will unlock.
Note that when the front wheels are locked, it will be hard to steer; so go slow and be careful!

In some cases, the 4wd may unlock even at idle. If the rear starts sliding, just stop, put it in reverse and repeat the procedure.

It works REAL GOOD!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes, this is known to some as "wedging" the hillard, I've used it myself but seems to hard to steer. Good info though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts