Polaris ATV Forum banner

AWD light on only in neutral

2K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  Joe Columbia 
#1 ·
So i've been tearing into this 98 xplorer 300 all week. I took the shifter out today to adjust the rods and noticed the shifter box wasn't closed. It was open almost 1/4". So i took it out, drained it, flushed it and filled it with no fluid. It used to sometimes show neutral while in gear and now that i adjusted the rods it it only shows neutral in neutral. My issue is my awd doesn't work anymore. It lights up in neutral but when i go into Forward or reverse the light goes out. Trying to figure out how that could have happened as the only electircal in the shifter is the neutral switch. Any ideas? How can i go about finding an electrical diagram for my quad?

TIA

#3 ·
You may just have a bad switch or ground. The AWD works by grounding or not grounding. The switch is NOT just for neutral. It does R, N and L and the machine MUST be in gear for AWD to function. There is a hack for a AWD bypass ground on the forum somewhere but I can't remember where to point you to...sorry.

#9 ·
Give it a shot, 'cuz I had the exact same symptoms on my diesel sportsman, with the same style 4WD, and when I just bypassed the switch completely by just bridging the machine side of things on the harness, it got rid of every problem I had with the 4WD, including the nice fact, you no longer have to hold the override button down going in reverse if you want 4WD. Good luck!!:)

#14 ·
That is bizarre. It almost makes me wonder if something up stream of the harness is bad, or you must have a bad ground somewhere in the system. IDK, that's weird. :/ Have you taken the 4WD switch apart and physically cleaned the contact plates? That could be your issue as well. just be careful pulling out the springs and pins and stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.