Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off It's a 2008 Sportsman 500 EFI with ADC.

I was trail riding today and my handle bars started jerking violently to the left randomly. It finally went away but now when I'm in mud the rear two tires spin but only the front left spins. Has anybody had a problem like this? I hope it's something easy!

Thanks,
Brett

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

I was trail riding today and my handle bars started jerking violently to the left randomly. It finally went away but now when I'm in mud the rear two tires spin but only the front left spins. Has anybody had a problem like this? I hope it's something easy!

Thanks,
Brett
I take it you ride alot with the AWD engaged. If that is so, then it would appear that you have either a broken knuckle joint or a stripped shaft at the hub on the right side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks,
Brett
I take it you ride alot with the AWD engaged. If that is so, then it would appear that you have either a broken knuckle joint or a stripped shaft at the hub on the right side.
I never ride in AWD unless I'm about to need it. I did however buy it used with about 1700 miles on it.

The handle bars were jerking while I had it in 2WD mode...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
You should check both the front wheel bearings, both ball joints, tie rod ends, both axles, and the shaft ends to see if they are stripped.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Check the r/s drive shaft....and spines....Muddie49

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok turns out the cv joint is broken on the right hand side. I ordered a new halfshaft from ebay for 75 bucks. Doesn't seem to expensive. Here's a link to the halfshaft I purchased. Polaris Sportsman 400 500 Front CV Axle 05 06 07 08 09: eBay Motors (item 150446024906 end time Aug-18-10 07:06:19 PDT) Has anybody had any experience with this brand? Sure beats 300+ bucks from the dealer.

I'm wondering though if this is going to fix my other problem with the 4x4. My other problems is sometimes it doesn't engage at all and yes my speedo works and the 4x4 indicator comes on.

Also, I jacked the front end off the ground and shook down the front tires. I noticed a little side to side motion on both sides. Will putting in new wheel bearings fix this problem?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sounds and looks pretty good..1 year warranty(Good)...try checking the torque on the hub Should be some play ...but if its excessive...EPI has wheels hub kits for 27.00 comes with all the seals and bearings for one side...Muddie49

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds and looks pretty good..1 year warranty(Good)...try checking the torque on the hub Should be some play ...but if its excessive...EPI has wheels hub kits for 27.00 comes with all the seals and bearings for one side...Muddie49
I may just leave the bearings alone since they have the same exact play on both sides.

Have you had any problems with you 2" lift install?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not much of an electrical guy. 2002 sportsman 400 with AWD problem, battery voltage 11.4. Did the AWD troubleshooting and when metering speedo harness pin E to pin B am getting only 8 Volts instead of 11.4. Could this be do to a bad ground? Anybody ever by-passed speedo by installing a fuse/switch directly from battery to AWD connections? Does JD make same speedo? Where is the best place for buying a speedo?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't want to hijack this thread, but i'm hoping someone can help me out... My 4x4 doesn't work (02 sportsman 400) but there is full power to both hubs. Armature plates and Hilliard clutches are brand new, filled hubs correctly. They magnatize as they should and have correct hub fluid. On jacks. I can stop both tires with my hand.

Another question. Where the splines / rollers on the Hilliard clutch are.. Should there be some notches on the inside of the hub for these rollers to set into when awd engages??

Because with the hub (cover?) itself off, I can see that the rollers move up when the hex nut spins on the axle... I've done the grounding re wiring, grounded the speedo out.. Awd light works, gear selector indicator works, power to the armature plates... Fully/properly magnatized ect. Someone please help :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts