Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little insight to a frustrating issue. I bought a 2008 rzr 800, it came with a few issues. All of which have been resolved except for 1. I can’t seem to get the AWD to engage. There’s no indicator on the dash, it displays every gear and I’ve tried jacking the backend off the ground to see it the front would engage, no dice. The switch for AWD illuminates and I have 12v at the plug when awd is selected and in L or H gear. Something I did notice is that the plug coming from the front differential has zero resistance, have tried to clean the plug and it still reads 0 OHMS. is there a ground or a fuse that runs from the differential that has maybe come loose or popped? Thanks in advance.

·
12,232 Posts
Should have 21.6 - 26.4 ohms.
You either have a wire to the front gearcase broken or the output cover/coil windings are bad and needs replaced.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose I’ll have to take the differential off to trace the wire. Is there a way to test the coil once removed?

·
12,232 Posts
You don't have to remove it to trace the wire. It runs straight through the cover to the windings. I guess you'll still need it out anyway though if you're gonna fix it.
Unless a pin is bad in the plug, you tested it the only way I know to test.
A break in the circuit, rather its a broken lead wire or a broken winding wire, equals no resistance/open.
To my knowledge, you can't get just the coil. You have to replace the cover at around $450 new.
You might check Powersports Nation for a good used front gearcase.
2203726Asm., Output Cover

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So after rechecking my reading, it seems my multimeter is getting an OL reading. I’m assuming that means the plug is bad?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess my next response might be a dumb one, but I’m having trouble finding a replacement plug for the coil that will connect to the plug from battery. Can I cut both and change the plug altogether or is there a certain type?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m assuming I can run a jumper straight to the leads out of the coil to the battery. Just remove the plug and run straight through?

·
12,232 Posts
Yes you could jump 12 v from from the battery or anywhere else. The orang/white accessory wires right under the pod are key-on power that's close by. It doesn't necessarily have to be the battery.
Or, if you have voltage down to the plug but not through it, just jump around the plug to see if that's where the problem is or if its actually the cover/windings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can I remove the plug coming from coil and jump the 12v source straight to the lead wires?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried cutting the wire back as far as I could, spliced in 2 jumpers..wired it straight to the batter, and nothing. I tried running the jumpers into the connector coming from batter and no luck. I give up, I’m guessing that whole cover has to be replaced.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts