Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1996 magnum 425 4x4 and the magnet sticks to the ring and strut when apart so it looks like it's ok. But when back together and on jacks the right right side turns right away and the left does not for a while and then it catches into 4x4. When in reverse the same thing happens you can hold the tire for a while then it kicks in 4x4 or just leave it alone and it kicks in 4x4 after some time. Have replace every thing in 4x4, seals, hub clutch, brakes and caliper, and magnet. Some time it engages and some times not. Did every thing to the other side and it works fine. I'am lost nothing is binding. The AWD light comes on in forward and reverse.
HELP THANKS

·
12,664 Posts
Check the magnet pole gap on the side that's slow to engage. Needs to be exactly flush to no more than .001" max
Did you replace the armature plates? They get worn too.

·
Premium Member
2004 Polaris sportsman 700
352 Posts
Not yet have a new one on order last part to do. Yes the gap is ok. Thanks
That’s probably your problem then. My awd has the Hilliard in the diff so different system but the armature was the problem with it engaging sporadically.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the armature plate today and did make a little difference in going into 4x4 but not all the time. I have had to hot wire the fan switch awhile ago and when i have the fan on the 4x4 goes in sometimes. Right when i turn off the switch the 4x4 goes in right away. Also tried the same thing with the hand warmers turn them off and same thing. Could the battery be going bad. The AWD is 12 volt power. Has any one heard of this. Might buy a battery later it is 5 years old. Thanks

·
Registered
12,886 Posts
Got the armature plate today and did make a little difference in going into 4x4 but not all the time. I have had to hot wire the fan switch awhile ago and when i have the fan on the 4x4 goes in sometimes. Right when i turn off the switch the 4x4 goes in right away. Also tried the same thing with the hand warmers turn them off and same thing. Could the battery be going bad. The AWD is 12 volt power. Has any one heard of this. Might buy a battery later it is 5 years old. Thanks
Of course the battery has an effect - especially at low engine speed - the charging system has no output below about 2500 RPM - the ignition system does not require battery voltage and if the battery voltage falls sufficiently, the AWD can drop out - when a battery is low and an added draw like the fan, warmers or brake light cause an additional voltage drop.

A new battery might help, but the charging of the battery should not be neglected - it need to be maintained

·
12,664 Posts
Of course the battery has an effect - especially at low engine speed - the charging system has no output below about 2500 RPM - the ignition system does not require battery voltage and if the battery voltage falls sufficiently, the AWD can drop out - when a battery is low and an added draw like the fan, warmers or brake light cause an additional voltage drop.

A new battery might help, but the charging of the battery should not be neglected - it need to be maintained
Could be too much voltage drop. I'd get a fresh battery and get it fully charged and make sure the charging system is up to snuff. Might be a good idea to check/clean grounds and other connections too while you're at it. Then if you still have problems you know its somewhere else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I will try that and see if I can find a new battery. It's all I have left to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New battery and same old thing. One wheel has trouble yet. Where is the AWD sensor that turns 4x4 in when the tires break loose. I do not have it in the speedometer the only power is for the light. 1996 4x4.
Might be that sensor not working some times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts