Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new user to this forum looking for some help on gettting the AWD to work again on a 2004 sportsman 700. It stopped working about 2 weeks ago when i was plowing snow. I read a lot of info on other post on this forum to get a starting point. I have tested the Ohms it tested ok speedo works and the icon shows in the display saying AWD is on. I believe i have tested the switch correctly and gear indicator displays in the dash and i flushed the frontend last weekend and put new fluid back in. Took it for a drive after that and i still did not have AWD working

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
251 Posts
When you changed the oil, was there little bits of plastic in the oil.. Just had to rebuild my front diff in my 04 600 as there is a plastic roller cage in there that broke. The other thing you could check is the wires. If you follow the wires up to your speedo (or get a wire diagram), you should be able to check for voltage at the speedo plug, this will confirm that the whole circuit is good not just the resistance on the coil. but I would guess a broken roller cage.. Also when mine went I fried the speedo (my own fault), but it all appeared to be working but the AWD system would not ground thru the speedometer any more. The only reason this happened though is because I hooked my booster cables up wrong, so I would not suspect this to be your trouble.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no bitts of plastic came out that i know of, just checked the oil i dumped out did not feel any peices of plastic in it. i will test the switch on the weekend. i'm hoping it would be a simple fix really do not want to tear the front end part. any of ideas from people would be a big help before i tear out the front end

·
Registered
251 Posts
get a wire diagram, find the AWD wire that goes to the speedometer cluster pull the wire harness off of the speedometer. turn on the AWD check for voltage (harness connector to ground), if you have 12 volts the electrical is good, I also had a diagnostics on my dash, you can check the AWD in it too. Make sure your gear selector indicator is working properly as well, if it is not then you will not have AWD....

·
Registered
251 Posts
from what i can find, you have the same front end as my 600. If you do need parts for it, get them from John Deere, they are fraction of the price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do u know want the John deere Prt# are ? I checked the diagnostics mode on the weekend turned the AWD switch on it came up the screen on turned it off and it came up on the screen off. so i'm asumming that is working fine will not be able to check the voltage till the weekend.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I do have the part numbers, will have to dig them up though.. removing and rebuilding the diff is not that difficult, but that is likely your problem. there is the outside possibility that it is the speedometer as mine tested good but still would not engage the AWD, but I had boosted my machine a couple of times and hooked the cables up backwards once, and right in the book it says that will damage the AWD in the speedo. Pretty much the only way to check the diff is to pull it out, but if all the elecrtical is working, its gotta be mechanical.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the last time i tested my speedo it was working fine, but i have not checked it this time yet. i"ll work on it this weekend

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tested the switch for the AWD and i believe it tested fine still no 4 wheel drive . Went for a ride today around the town and it started flashing HOT check engine. Found a broken wire repaired that noticed that the cooling fan was not turning on at all. Not sure on how to test or were even to look at to find out why the cooling fan is not turning on. If anybody can point me in the right direction that would be great

·
Registered
251 Posts
there is a relay or temperature sensor of some sorts on the rad,, bottom right side on my 600. , when the water gets to certain temp, that relay cuts in and send power to the fan, but there should be a couple sets of plugs that you can check to determine where the problem is. Mine are all under the hood, just follow them back from the relay. If it looks like there is 12 volt going down and not coming back up to turn on the fan, I would suspect that temperature switch is toast.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wonder what the originator of this post found out about his 4wd? I hae a 04 500 ho with similar problem..4wd icon shows up but flashes every couple of seconds when turned off and stays on when turned on but no 4wd..12-14v at front diff connector..new coil aka "front diff cover"...new cage/armature plate from jd...new bearings and seals... any ideas??

·
Registered
251 Posts
yeah, bad ground at the speedometer.. mine did some what similar, light turned on, rebuilt front diff, still no AWD, tested the circuit back to headlight pod, had 12v to ground at the pod, but would not engage.. cut the line, grounded it under the speedo, now it engages but the AWD light does not work any more.....Mine is an 04 600 but that is what I found.

·
Registered
251 Posts
just for reference, I cut the wire that goes from the AWD coil back to the speedo pod. It was wire 16 in my harness, may be different on the 500's though. the AWD usually grounds thru the speedo some how, but mine was not grounding thru it, so I grounded before it.

p.s. love the ruger logo

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I believe ill try that. I actually hooked a jump box backwards up to mine as well. Don't remember the 4wd instantly not working tho. But can't remember verifying at that time. And wire 16 is brown and white on mine which which is one of two brwn/white wires coming from the front diff connector
. The other paired wire is gray and it goes to the switch
Maybe the brown wire is how Polaris shuts off the 4wd even tho its engaged at the switch I.e
for reverse override purposes and for limiting when you can engage as far as speed goes. I do have 12 v at that brown/white wire to ground which is what the service manual says is a good electrical system. But ill try your method. Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
Before you cut it under the dash, i got thinking, If you cut it under the hood and leave the one from the switch to the pod your AWD light may still work. Where as if you cut under the dash, the light doesn't work for sure....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well go4snypr you helped me tremendously, i just finshed grounding the brwn/white wire coming from the switch and speedometer (terminal 16) and it works great! The awd icon is kind of sporatic but i can deal with that. Instead of cutting any of the brown wires i t-tapped into it above the connector and grounded it to the ecm ground. Thanks a million!

·
Registered
31 Posts
What the tech guy told me about my Explorer was to find where the connector block was for the red-white (12V. pos.) wires and next to that was the connector block for the grey-white wires. He said to jump a red-white wire on to a grey-white wire and that would bypass all that interconnected safety crap (reverse cut-out safety, speedometer, etc.) and you could turn the awd on & off with the handlebar on-off switch. So, I thought I did what he said and my awd works fine now. Maybe that fix would work for you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got the cool fan working again thanks for the help with this Go4snypr . Spent a couple hours last weekend working on the front end jacked up the quad and and let it run for a bit in gear turned on the AWD switch and it started working turned off the switch and I had all 4 tires still turning. Put it reverse ran a bit and then back into High and than the AWD was finally off. not sure what the problem is any body that help me that would be great.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts