Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 850xp with eps and ebs and am wondering how the AWD system works exactly? The reason I ask is while plowing the other day I was on the way over to my parents and had it in AWD and it seemed like if I let off the gas just a little bit the ass end wanted to come around on me. It's like it doesn't stay in AWD unless it feels the rear wheels slip. Feels almost dangers to drive. I also notice the AWD emblem on the display comes on and off while driving but no rhyme or reason to it. Just doesn't feel right to me.

·
Registered
434 Posts
thats exactly how it works onse the rears spring 1/5th of a turn fronts kick in onse they catch up it disengages unless your in ADC mode then its locked in

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So my dealer tells me not to run it in ADC anymore then you have to more or less only while going down hill, or I could run it out of ADC fluid is this true? Not sure I like this kind of system on ice, it sucks to drive around town with it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
pretty sure it does up to 15MPH or else when u start descending it would skid the back tires and only be in 2wd

please elaborate on what it does then?

and it probably isnt a good idea to keep it running in adc

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
pretty sure it does up to 15MPH or else when u start descending it would skid the back tires and only be in 2wd

please elaborate on what it does then?

and it probably isnt a good idea to keep it running in adc
The adc is a different unit connected to the front diff. And I believe it uses a set of clutches to activate.

S3

·
Registered
434 Posts
yep a set of clutches to lock the 4wd in

·
Registered
434 Posts
id have to go look at my bike mabye it only works when your off the throttle but what it does is locks it in 4wd so that your ebs has all four wheels slowing you down going down hill

·
Registered
434 Posts
this is from the manual

Active Descent Control (ADC) System
The ADC system allows engine braking to all four wheels when the
vehicle descends a hill or incline. Always move the 4X4 switch to ADC
4X4 before ascending or descending a hill.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have a 2013 850xp with eps and ebs and am wondering how the AWD system works exactly? The reason I ask is while plowing the other day I was on the way over to my parents and had it in AWD and it seemed like if I let off the gas just a little bit the ass end wanted to come around on me. It's like it doesn't stay in AWD unless it feels the rear wheels slip. Feels almost dangers to drive. I also notice the AWD emblem on the display comes on and off while driving but no rhyme or reason to it. Just doesn't feel right to me.
The AWD icon on dash shouldn't be going on and off like that. It sounds like you may have an electrical problem.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would agree that it must be something electrical to cause the icon to go on or off. Is anything else flickering on or off on the dash. Like what gear you are in. The 4wd icon will only work in high or low, in reverse with the override(some of the newer bikes the 4wd will work without the override pressed)

Also when 4wd is selected it runs in rear wheel drive until the rear tires slip then the fronts engage. It should be fairly smooth and not that noticeable. It engages it with an armature plate that gets magnetized, by having it in 4wd. So if the icon is flickering it could be stopping the current flow to the armature plate momentarily. Also the adc is only for braking it won't keep the 4wd always engaged. It is to give 4 wheel engine braking. Like how a japenese 4wd system would have 4 wheel engine braking. I agree I only use it when going down big steep hills.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Might be something in the switch as well. Did you get any water into it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts