Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone, I have had an 07 sportsman 300 (Hawkeye) that dipped into water 6 months ago and I first noticed the front would not engage. I did have a break in the wires leading to the front diff. which I resoldered, and heat wrapped about 3 years ago. The fronts have always worked, today for the first time in over a year, I noticed they will no longer engage. My question is the machine has barely moved in 2 years, and the front diff oil is 3 yrs old. Could old front diff. oil be causing this problem? Thanks in advanced for all your suggestions. Joe

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
change the front diff fluid is the first step on the way to your recovery. Drain it, flush it with some cheap oil then refill and see if it works. If not then you will have to check the wires and make sure you are getting power to the diff. You may need to pull the diff and take it apart. I did one on a 500HO and it took about an hour to get it out and take it apart. once apart you can check the Sprague cage and the magnet.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
if you're going to let it sit that long you need to change the fluids before you take it out again. just to make sure everything is still up to snuff. My bike has been sitting for a while because it needs a complete fluid change. Haven't had time to get to the dealership to get the fluids though.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Change the front diff fluid with DEMAND DRIVE FLUID not just any cheap oil. The diff has to have the correct oil in order to work properly.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Change the front diff fluid with DEMAND DRIVE FLUID not just any cheap oil. The diff has to have the correct oil in order to work properly.
I'm pretty sure inR was recommending flushing the diff with cheap fluid and then replacing with proper fluid...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I'm pretty sure inR was recommending flushing the diff with cheap fluid and then replacing with proper fluid...
Absolutely I was referring to that. No point spending money on demand fluid to flush it out. I have had to flush3 times to get water and crap out. Now if I open it up and it really dirty (500HO had stuff that looked like milky coffee) it was easier to pull and take apart.

When your done use demand fluid to refill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts