Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Sportsman 500 with a broken REAR LEFT (DRIVER'S) side axle. I called the dealership and they said only 2011-2014 axles were interchangeable. I've found some replacement axles on the internet for 2009 and 2010 models. Can't find any that aren't crazy expensive for my 2012.

So my question.

Are there more years that are interchangeable?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
424 Posts
You can find an index of interchangeability for any polaris part.

Go to the Polaris Parts Catalog. Here is the LINK: Polaris You need to sign up for an account.

Find your quad in the index, then use the diagrams to find the part

In the listing of parts, there is a part number AND A BUTTON THAT SAYS "USAGE". Click that USAGE button and then you will see all the places that part is used.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Super atv Rhino brand axles have stood up really well for me on my 850. For a 2012 sportsman 500 - $199.00 and come with a one year warranty. If your in the States I believe they offer free shipping.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You have a strange situation, Nick.

For most sportsman models, the parts catalog lists the Shaft as a separate part number from the whole axle assembly. On the 500 HO, it lists the assembly but not the shaft by itself. The whole assembly includes both CV joints etc and prices at about $200.

Where you CAN get the shaft-only it seems to price at about $45. Who knows why they choose not to list the shaft-only for your model.

The shaft-only for virtually all XP models is the same part number (pn 2204253) and costs about $40. But that one will probably not fit your 500HO.

Maybe you can find a shaft-only somewhere ? ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shaft looks to be ok. The inner CV basically "exploded". The inner cup that connects into the rear diff is missing a fairly large chunk. Any ideas how to get this thing out since I won't have much leverage to pull?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
There are some good videos on Youtube you should look at. They give a good idea of what is involved.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've watched every video on YouTube about how to take out axles. Only problem is mine is broken at the inner CV joint. I have NOTHING to pull on except a broken inner cup. I tried for quite a while and I really don't want to go crazy on the thing with a flathead and a hammer.

Can I take out the opposite axle and tap the broken axle out through the diff that way?

·
Registered
424 Posts
From the parts diagram, it looks to me like you could tap it from the other side.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
to get the cup out..here is what i did and works great....I tried the prying but was scared i would break the casing....I got a 3 1/2 inch muffler clamp...2 feet of welded link chain at Lowes...and rented a slide puller from Advanced auto..its free in the long run....
I put the clamp on cup then put the last links of chain on the studs then put the clamp on tight
Then I got the center of the chain and secured the slide puller there...then I gave a good pull and off it came...was so easy....

as far as the puller you rent it ..when you return it they give you the rental fee back..its sorta a security deposit you return it....

works like a charm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts