Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody wear a kidney belt or Back brace while riding. I am looking for some support for my lower back. The last ride I went on I wore a old Gold belt kidney belt, that gave me support. its over 20 years old and didnt make it through the day. Time for a new one but was considering something that would help with posture as well as making it more comfortable to ride. Just compressing the mid section made my back feel good, and supported what is left of my gut, ( i did loose 40lbs!).
The ones from Fox, Thor and such, do they help with proper back position or just compress like the kidney belt I have.
Any thoughts or ideas welcome.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Glad to hear your riding again. I've been considering one of those. Seems the more miles I put on the bike and myself, the more I feel like I need one.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
Just worried as I am alive but my back is not as I hoped it would be. Doc said that I am 80 to 90%. Been hurting lately but not from riding, from work and such. Going to go to my chiropractor to get his assesment, and to see what I can do to improve. I have been doing what I can to get in shape and loose weight but...
with the back brace or kidney belt, I may use this at work and for play but not rely totaly on it.

I am trying to see what others think and what they have used to be able to ride comfortably.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
This is one I can help with!! :happy: Back about twenty five years ago, when I was kickin up roosts on my quad racer, I used a kidney belt all the time. The few times I didn't man did I feel it! I made the decision back then, I wouldn't ride with out one.
Now that I am back riding, (4x4 trail riding now) another kidney belt is one of the first things I bought next to my helmet!
Personally, I cracked a vertabre in my spine, back in 2003. (near 25% disability) For me using a kidney belt is the difference between my riding both days of the week end or not.

IMHO a kidney belt is a delineate MUST HAVE item for all riders. If you haven't tried one there are many out there for about $40 bucks. Small price to pay for riding enjoyment the second day out!! I don't know about the rest of you guys are age wise, but I am past forty and everything I can do to stay from getting too sore to function is a good thing!

CW

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Pretty much yes, all quite similar. It's not so much a spinal brace as it simply keeps your kidneys from jostling around all ride long. Its amazing the difference in fatigue you will feel after using one.

CW

·
Registered
46 Posts
Watch geetting one from a chiropractor. Mine tried to sell me one from a company called SPINAL AID. It is inflatable for more comfort and was priced at $900.00 altho he assured me my hospitalization would pay for it. Not this fat boy!:haha:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My chiropractor told me that my pain is from my back being a little out of alignment. He said that he can fix that, after 4 visits I am feeling better. The crushed vertebra is here to stay and may cause me problems but nothing that I cant live with. the front of L1 is crushed maybe a half a inch or maybe alittle more. he said my posture is fine, so just a belt that compresses and gives me support is all I need, and to only use it when I feel I need it. Like riding or working.

I have been using a regular work back brace at work when I have to deal with changing batteries out in our power supplies. The batteries are 75 lbs each.

I am going to order a Fox Turbo belt or maybe a Gold belt. The gold belt that I have blew the sides out. It dont owe me anything, I had it since I was a teenager but with me loosing 45lbs i was able to start using it, but now its in the trash.

·
Registered
76 Posts
reply to back support

I have to wear a back support for riding. I have used kidney belts but find an obus form back support the best . price is better too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts