Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been awhile since I had a 4-wheeler. Been involved in other activities such as Fishing, Hunting, Riding my Harley. Wanted to get another 4-wheeler to Ride with my SIL, Daughter and Grandkids.

Found a nice barely used 2007 Sportsman 700 EFI and brought her home.

First question, I put 87 Regular Gas in it (after draining the tank dry-Bike had been sitting for 3 years) and it seems to ping-knock some. Manual says 87 min. Should I go to a higher Octane? if so what?

87 is the ONLY non-ethanol gas around here.

I have stripped her down to the motor and frame and went over everything. All new Polaris fluids and lubed all the points I could find. Fixed a couple of shorts that I found. This Forum has been really helpful in searching for answers, so figured might as well join.

Next step is dealing with the idle. Running about 780 now. I have read where a dirty TB could be the problem and one of the things I found was the original owner had put a K&N filter on it and had pulled the connecting hose loose (partly) from the TB Entrance-- so it was sucking dust straight in. I will pull that off today and clean the TB and check the Sensor Connection as well.

As soon as I'm done I'll get a pic up.

·
Super Moderator
6,952 Posts
I would try a higher octane and see if that does anything for it. Absolutely no reason to worry about running 10% ethanol gas in it. Will not hurt a thing. That's all that has ever been in my machines.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
The only thing ethanol will do is swell the plastic tank and fuel lines, damage fuel the fuel pump and filters, reduce fuel milage and when setting for long periods, the alcohol will combine with water in the atmosphere fall out of the gas, support the growth of algae in the fuel system and damage the carburetor.

Add some PJ1 Fuel System Fuel Injector Cleaner to the fuel - if the ping doesn't subside, use some VP Racing Small Engine Fuel (94 octane) for a while and then try going back to the 87. If you use pump gas with alcohol (89 or 92 octane), drain the carb and fuel tank any time the machine is going to set more that 30 days or use Liquid Performance Ethanol Equalizer to prevent the alcohol from separating from the gas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well while working on it today found an idle adjustment screw. D type head. I had NO Codes showing up to this point, so I kind of ruled out the wiring to that sensor on the air intake.

I was able to bump up the idle and guess what, the pinging/knock went away. have it set about 1180-1200 and it runs perfect.

Now however I AM getting codes from that sensor of 45 and 41. Like I said it runs perfect, wife even commented about it just from listening to it from the patio while it was running in the back garage and said it sounded so much better.

Not sure how to lose that code or if I screwed up by adjusting the D Screw to bump up the idle.

I figure I'll test the wires out tomorrow and as long as they all test good, not worry to much. I have heard (to late) that if you adjust that screw it does something to that sensor that the Dealer has to re-set to make it stop showing the code.

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
You should be able to erase the codes by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. I had the wife's 500 throwing a code for the air box temp sensor. Ran fine....Reset it and it hasn't been back

1 - 5 of 5 Posts