Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the ATV on Saturday. It's a used 2012 850 XP. I noticed today that the ATV is not sitting level when looking at it from the rear. When measuring from the plastic down to the tire, there's about an inch and a half difference between the sides. The right side is lower than the left side. Anyone know why this would be or how I can fix it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Might be a stupid question: Did you check to see if the bike has the same size rear wheels and tires? Do all the suspension components look the same, nothing obvious has been replaced on one side only? Has the bike been lifted?
Second stupid question: How did you not see that or feel it during test ride?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Look at the adjustable shocks see if one is set higher then the other.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It might be a good idea to check to see if the frame is cracked or if it has been welded. I had a 2010 and had the same problem it turned out the frame was cracked in 6 spots.I dont ride hard no jumps just speed. all the cracks were on the toes of the welds even on the gussets maybe too much heat when welded. The dealer gave me a good trade on a 2012 im always checking the frame so far so good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It might be a good idea to check to see if the frame is cracked or if it has been welded. I had a 2010 and had the same problem it turned out the frame was cracked in 6 spots.I dont ride hard no jumps just speed. all the cracks were on the toes of the welds even on the gussets maybe too much heat when welded. The dealer gave me a good trade on a 2012 im always checking the frame so far so good.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Mine is like that too. Kinda figured its a quad, not a Ferrari.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked in the manual and saw they are adjustable. Just not sure how to do it. Has anyone done this before?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
If you got a tool kit with it, it should have a spanner wrench in it for adjusting the preload. If not, I have heard of people using channel lock pliars to turn them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should be a funny looking tool in ur tool kit that goes at the bottom of the spring in the grooves to adjust them

2013 850ho
I didn't get that tool kit with mine. Guess I need to look for one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
619 Posts
Before "adjusting" anything, take a few measurements on the shock and spring seats and compare left to right. You may be able to just count threads?

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you look at the bottom of the spring there's a cam with humps, you can use a channel lock if you don't have the the wrench.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
First things first. Are your back tires at the same inflation? If so move onto the shocks. You should be able to tell if they are set at the same setting from looking at it.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
First things first. Are your back tires at the same inflation? If so move onto the shocks. You should be able to tell if they are set at the same setting from looking at it.
In his first post he said he measured from the plastics to the tire and found the difference there. Tire inflation would have no affect on that.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Is the rack support frame/rack tweaked? Or does that look "level" or even from one side to the other? How does it ride..... does it feel/ride funny?

I'd still start with tire psi, and move to shock settings, shock length comparison on level ground and progress from there!!

Try lefting the rear end to "extend" the suspension (not off the ground, just by hand like you were trying to slide it over to move it).... is the lean still there?

Maybe just had to much weight on racks and tweaked them....

I'd be very interested to find out what you figure out..... as I've seen many atv's for sale that have a "lean" to the right side stance in the rear!!! Be nice to know if it was a problem?!?!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is the rack support frame/rack tweaked? Or does that look "level" or even from one side to the other? How does it ride..... does it feel/ride funny?

I'd still start with tire psi, and move to shock settings, shock length comparison on level ground and progress from there!!

Maybe just had to much weight on racks and tweaked them....

I'd be very interested to find out what you figure out..... as I've seen many atv's for sale that have a "lean" to the right side stance in the rear!!! Be nice to know if it was a problem?!?!
It rides just fine. Tire pressure is equal. It's not that big of a deal, but I'm a little OCD... so... I need to research more.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts