Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one installed back-up/work lights for the XP 550?
Dealer says there is not a kit for them.
Foot peg kit as well?
Thanks,

·
Registered
221 Posts
I believe the XP's are already wired for them. All you have to get is the switch and the light, but I could be mistaken. Let me know how it goes for you because I'm looking to do the same on my machine.

·
Registered
421 Posts
well after looking at a parts diagram. it dont show nothing about it. it dont evon show the plugs. and the taillights are n/a for the 550. but ill bet the worklight taillights would fit. youd need to get the taillights, the worklight kit. that has the bulbs and switch. and if it wasnt pre wired. youd have to get the scoket/plugs to work with the taillights. and some wire to wire them up.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah I'm going to look over mine tonight and see what all is there. I know our local dealer has the parts on hand so I may do the swap this weekend. If I do I'll update you on how it all went and what all you'll need.

·
Registered
421 Posts
the 850 s you will need the switch, bulbs, and the taillights. the wireing is there for it. the plug is somewhere in the headlight pod. but its not auto reverse tho. you have to turn it on manualy. i just figured out how to make mine come on in rev last week.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Oh yeah that would be handy to know. I like that idea, I'll probably try and get mine to do that also. Hopefully it will be a fairly simple process to get it all hooked up and running.

·
Registered
421 Posts
well if you dont know how to do it. it can cost ya a new speedo. im not shure of the xp. but the sportsmans have a resistor pack the gear signal goes though then it sends that to the speedo.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hmmm..... Looks like I'll have to do plenty of research and asking around before I go through all that work then end up having to put out more money than I have to.

·
Registered
421 Posts
well if you want some help let me know. ill try my best to help.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well I appreciate that Chuck. I didn't get around to working on any lights or even purchasing them for that matter. However I did get my new winch monted and all wired up yesterday evening. Works great, now I just need to put the body back together.

·
Registered
221 Posts
So has anybody done this mod yet? Installing new work/reverse tail lights on the XP. The accessories catalog doesn't have the lenses in them for the XP only the 800 but they look identical. This will be my next mod so if anyone has done this please let me know.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sorry I missed this thread, answer is yes. XPs are not factory wired for them like the older models were
You will need to order the rear lights and the switch from the 2009 LE model, then you will need to get wire and a fuse block from any auto parts house, and then hard wire them direct to the battery. There is special notches in the pod to cut out for the factory switch. The switch is only about $10-15.00 bucks, the new LE tailights with the clear part in them, were around $60-70.00 ea, however they came with new bulbs already in them.

Here is a pic of mine.

They pretty much install just like the PIAA light kits do for the polaris front bumbers.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Awesome thanks for the response cc1999, I'll probably be doing this along with a couple other items once I get my tax money back. You wouldn't happen to know if they can be wired to come on with reverse do you?

And where did you get those cool rims, I would like a set of those.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks, the Rims are Hipers.
http://www.hiperracingwheels.com/UTV.aspx

Not sure how you would go about making them into backup lights, you would probably need to find a way to trigger them off the gear indicator somehow. There is some sort of idicator sensor somwhere since the cluster indicates what gear you are in, so I supose it may be possible. Thats over my head, I just repeated the instuctions for the PIAA lights and rounded up all the need pieces from Polaris and Autozone.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Haha ok well it's definitely over my head if there are no set instructions! I'll just set them up with the switch for now.

Thanks for the site and the help with the lights.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Found a couple more pics of my work light mod.

My factory switches are setting right inside those two little notches above the headlight on the pod. The back side of that pod has a place to cut out the holes for the facoty switches.

I ordered the parts to do the same mod again on my 2010 model. I will try and get the part numbers and prices posted for you when they come in.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah I'd appreciate that. I'd like to know how much I need to set aside.

How much were those PIAA lights?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey to hook them up as reverse lights all you really need is a relay. Just trigger the relay off of the hot wire on the light in the cluster... should only take about 5 min to wire up.

The relay will get a hot wire from the battery, ground, one wire to the lights and one wire to the trigger (in this case it'd be your cluster light wire)

·
Registered
421 Posts
not gona work with one relay. polaris's new models atleast my 2008 and i beleve the xp's are wired the same way for the cluster gear displays are wired up where the speedo sends a signal to the transmission switch. then its goes from there to a resistor pack with 5 resistors. the signal is sent though that and then send the resistor signal to the speedo and the speedo senses the resitance and displays what gear your in. so tapping one wire in for the the relay is gona give the speedo faulse signals, and if not connected correctly can cost you a new speedo.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts