Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/members/37806-albums1253-picture6713.jpg

Has anybody tried something like a motorcycle trunk with a backrest on the rear rack? I know the big poly boxes that are made for ATV's but it seems they generally are mounted so far back that the backrest would not be useful except at rest or 2 up.

Something like this could be snugged up comfortably and would at least provide a reasonable amount of dry cargo space, unavailable on the xp's,
for cheap. Just wondering. I guess if nobody is doing it there's probably a good reason.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I am pretty sure polaris has a lock n ride backrest.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Personally the back rest on my Sportsman box is about perfect for me! I slide back about two I chew from normal riding position and its right there.

Guess it all depends on your body size. But there is no way I could take a passenger with a sportsman box and back rest on my '07 700.

I'm sure you could easily adapt the stock back rest to a plate that fit under the rear box and above the rack. Effectively samwiched between them to hold it down. Kinda like blocks on pedals for short folks. ;)

CW

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some of that stuff is $3-400 vs. that thing above that's delivered for 69 bucks, and if it doesn't work out, its a throw away. I know you can take cheap way too far. (Heck, you could tie a log on the front for a bumper.)

But, sometimes I wonder about the huge sums I've been putting into accessories.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
so you'd rather go cheap, and get something that wasn't built for the bike, and may or may not work, vs something that is built to meet the needs of the off road riding comunity. Yeah, I get cheap. I'll build the vast majority of my own stuff because I can and I'm cheap and would rather not pay someone else to build something I can build myself. but even than some times it's cheaper in the long run to have someone else build it. In this case I'd be far more apt to buy a rear box with a back rest for storage than I would be to build my own or buy something that wasn't intended for that use. one of the big features of the plastic boxes is that they are plastic and VERY durable. where as fiberglass would be far more likely to crack or get damaged if they rub against a tree or catch a branch or something. It's a matter of pro's vs con's accompanied by skill vs need. I need something that can hold all the gear that I need. I need something that can allow me to sit comfortably on the quad and some times accomidate a second passenger. I need it to last, and I need it to work. I can build something that could suit the need, but it might not last. I could buy something that will suit the need and will last, and if it doesn't is covered by warrenty. or I can buy something that might meet my needs and may or may not fit. It also may or may not last. $300-$400 isn't cheap, but neither is $70. and you know what they say. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear ya.......... But sometimes don't you just have to try to reinvent the mousetrap even if you keep getting your fingers snapped?

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
I hear ya.......... But sometimes don't you just have to try to reinvent the mousetrap even if you keep getting your fingers snapped?
some times it's just better to let someone else's fingers get snapped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts