Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a project that in involves a 99' sportsman 500 and an ez go golf cart. The problem is that it runs great with nothing hooked to the filter side of the carb but when I put the tube and filter on it bogs out at half throttle. I think it is a vacuum issue but I'm not exactly sure how these carbs work.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med: Thats interesting looking...

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The filter will restrict some of the air flow through the carb. That will do 2 things on this style of carb. It limits the air flow that lifts the carb slide with vacuum pressure and also changes the fuel/air ratio coming into the engine. In your case, less air and the same fuel coming through the jets is probably running very rich. You could try tuning the mixture screw a little and see if you can clean it up that way. In is leaner, out is richer. If that won't do it you may have to move the clip position on the needle or even change the main jet in the bowl of the carb. You're just going to have to play with it at this point to get it right.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Down to lean it out. I would 1st drive it.when it bogs. Stop immidiatly and kill engine. Let cool abit then pull your plug and see what color it is.... Black is rich. White is lean.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I gotta chime in and say, that's a F'n killer golf cart. I'd take up the game again if our club had them?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so I've tried all that and nothing helped? What size jet should I get or do I have to bite the bullet and get the whole kit?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WHY?????? I've got it pinned on the intake tube. It runs great with nothing on the carb but as soon as I put just the intake tube on with no filter it bogs down at about half throttle.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The tube changes the flow of air just like the filter does. Custom stuff like this just takes some tuning time. You obviously have a lot of time in building the cart and it's awesome. Just be patient and take the time to get it to run right with a filter or you'll be sucking in a ton of dirt and doing top ends on your motor constantly.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Stock intake without the air box and its little restrictive intake hole. These machines are very particular to the air box being installed and sealed properly to run right with stock jetting. I've been building, racing, and modifying this type of stuff for 20 years. It's running lean and needs to be jetted up of you can't tune out out with the mixture screw and needle clip adjustments.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ezgo ck pm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so I'm up to a 200 main jet should I go bigger or is there something else I should do?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts