Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the belt on my sportman with a dealer belt because of the slipping. The belt helped a little but there is still a lot of slipping in high gear. Going down the trail the Rpms will be around 4600 then SLOWLY come back down unless I lift the throttle then it catches. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I cleaned it the best I could. I sprayed it off with break clean and wiped the clutch down as good as possible. Is there a chance it could be the secondary clutch? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Either the primary or secondary clutch is not engaging properly.
I would suspect the primary. You or someone will have to take your clutches apart and find out why it is not biting the belt properly.
There are some special tools required, if you don't have access to them and are not very mechanical then I would just have the dealer do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response! I tried to see if the dealer where I bought the bike would fix the clutch and they tried to tell me it couldn't be taken apart and the only way to fix it would be to buy new clutches... I don't know if he was just tryin to make a sell or they just don't know how to work on them. Do you know by chance if I bought a repair manual it would it have the job in it?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I would say your dealer is not telling the truth. These clutches can rebuilt and we rebuild a lot of them. If you send us your clutches we will inspect them at no charge and let you know if they can be rebuilt or not and what the cost will be. They require several special tools to disassemble the primary clutch and rebuild it. You will also need a clutch puller to remove the clutch from the crankshaft. If you have any questions you can email me at [email protected] or call 651-340-1129. Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts