Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm new to the forum but not ATV's. I have an '06 Sportsman that I'm having trouble with and need some help. It set in my shop too long with a bad battery and I didn't start way to long and didn't treat the gas. When I did get the battery replaced, I started and run with bad gas - like a DA, did not drain and now I can't get started. It's definitely a fuel delivery system issue as I can start with a "gas rag". I have since drained the tank, replaced and treated the gas. Still no go. So next I pulled the injector and cleaned thoroughly and still no luck. When I turn on the key, I hear the fuel pump, but no fuel through the injector. I am getting gas through injector during the start cycle (as the engine tries to crank) but not steady; it sprays a little first and then another "blast" about 2/3's through the crank cycle . It appears I'm only getting spray from maybe two holes, but not all four? I don't mind springing for a new injector if I know that's the fix, but want to throw out the problem here and see if I get any hits before spending money to start replacing parts w/o thorough troubleshooting? Any help will be greatly appreciated... Thx - Cris

·
Registered
962 Posts
I would check (and probably replace) the rubber fuel lines from the fuel pump to the rail. Depending on how long the gas sat, and blend of gas (ethanol), the rubber fuel lines may have began to deteriate...leaving you with small chunks of rubber/trash in the fuel line to clog the injectors.

Next, I would check fuel pressure to rule out the pump. Just because it's operating, doesn't mean it's operating correctly. If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge, there are a few threads on here on how to build a simple and inexpensive gauge. I think pressure should be in the 39psi range, but double check that.

If the pump tests good, and you have good fuel lines, then you are left with the injectors. I know a few people that have had good luck cleaning the injector screens, but not me. I usually just replace the injectors.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Welcome from Maine! BTW, you might even want to flush the gas tank. When I bought my Arctic Cat it gave me fits until I pumped out the gas tank into a clean 5 gallon pail. In the bottom (reserve area) was a vile black crud. Fricking ethanol gas!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been having problems with mine and am going to drain and clean my fuel tank. Will follow up on what I find in it. 2004 Sportsman 700

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hose was so tight I broke the plastic nipple on the valve after I cut the gas line. Someone must've glued it on with epoxy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
No matter what you finally have to do to make the injector work, start using ethanol free gas from now on. All it is going to do is give you headaches and unnecessary repair work. I switched to ethanol free gas, for all my small engine equipment two years ago, and since then have not had one carb/injector problem. I will never go back, as long as it is still available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts