Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was flipping through the forum and saw someone mention about the 570s having bad ignitions, just wondering how many of yous have had the issue? I've noticed when my bike is off my digital display will light up, the up, down and menu button(570 sp), wondering If the bad ignition would cause this. They dont stay on long, usually just flashes on randomly... also found my battery to be complete garbage, but that may also be due to the flashing of the lights slowly draining it. Every now and then when I start it my pwr steering will be out until the battery charges up enough. What're you guys running for decent aftermarket batterys? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,559 Posts
Idk about bad ignition!!! Some bad switches but nothing out of the ordinary!!!!! You may have a bad switch if the display is lighting up randomly!!! As for aftermarket batteries I'm an Odyssey fan but any AGM battery from a quality manufacture will do.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idk about bad ignition!!! Some bad switches but nothing out of the ordinary!!!!! You may have a bad switch if the display is lighting up randomly!!! As for aftermarket batteries I'm an Odyssey fan but any AGM battery from a quality manufacture will do.
When you say switch are we not talking about the same thing or is there more to the ignition system than just a key and hole? Lol. Forgive my ignorance, when it comes to electrical I'm no guru.

·
Premium Member
7,559 Posts
Lol yeah the switch wouldn't even be considered part of the ignition system. Its actually part of the startering system.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
The key switch has three functions - in the off position it connects terminal E to F to which no wires are connected - in the on position it connects and maintains a connection to terminals C and D - when turned to the start position, it connects terminals A to B, it maintains this connection as long as the return spring is kept under tension by the hand of the operator. The switch may fail in many ways, but in the off position, there should be no power to anything except the power steering fuse, the red/black wire at the key switch, the EFI fuse, the chassis relay and the fuel pump relay. By the wiring diagram; the only time there should be power to the speedo is when the key switch in on (connecting the red/blk wire to the red/wht wire) - red/wht supplies power to the speedo. If the switch fails to break the circuit positively, then momentary or maintained energization of the speedo is possible. It's also possible for the connection to be so fragile that it can make connection, heat up, break connection and repeat the cycle (similar to a circuit breaker) until the battery is discharged.

I suspect the key switch needs replaced.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The key switch has three functions - in the off position it connects terminal E to F to which no wires are connected - in the on position it connects and maintains a connection to terminals C and D - when turned to the start position, it connects terminals A to B, it maintains this connection as long as the return spring is kept under tension by the hand of the operator. The switch may fail in many ways, but in the off position, there should be no power to anything except the power steering fuse, the red/black wire at the key switch, the EFI fuse, the chassis relay and the fuel pump relay. By the wiring diagram; the only time there should be power to the speedo is when the key switch in on (connecting the red/blk wire to the red/wht wire) - red/wht supplies power to the speedo. If the switch fails to break the circuit positively, then momentary or maintained energization of the speedo is possible. It's also possible for the connection to be so fragile that it can make connection, heat up, break connection and repeat the cycle (similar to a circuit breaker) until the battery is discharged.

I suspect the key switch needs replaced.

Thank you for such a detailed explanation!! Going to be calling my local dealer for a new switch and hopefully that'll solve some issues. I'm sure I'll be needing a battery in the near future as well though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts