Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, used the 3500# Bandlands winch a few times over the last several days and it worked flawlessly.

Pulled my fully laden rig up and over some 50-60 degree obstacles without any issues.

The only negative I could say about it is that it is VERY slow. But that is only an issue when your ready to wind the cable back on the spool. Slow winching over obstacles is kinda nice as it's nice and gentle, not jerky.

I would definatly recommend one for the price its hard to beat.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Nice review.... First hand experience from a trusted member is always good!

I haven't had much time to test mine out, but hope I can return with a similar positive experience!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have a 5k on my Ranger, been over a year. Most of my riding is deep mud and deep water, still works good. It is slow though and the cable sucks. I'm switching to rope this week, just waiting on the hawse fairlead.

There's gonna be somebody on this thread that will say "you get what you pay for" and "I'll only get a Warn or Viper", etc. I just want to put it out there that both Warn and Viper have failed me when I needed them most.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Glad there holding up. I picked up a KFI mount off a dude on Craigslist for $20 and told the girlfriend I wanted the #3500 for my birthday can't wait

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have had a badlands on my Suzuki for 5 years and polaris for 2 this fall..and never a problem...the one one on the suzuki has been put threw hell....it was used for plowing and hauling logs out of the woods...and still works today as new...they are a bit slow but thats the gear ratio ..slow is good as if the chit is going to hit the fan on a pull you have time to stop..good winch for the money..they proved them selves to me

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad to see the good reviews on the Badlands. I have one sitting in a box waiting to install. Reading the instruction guide, it appears that it needs a 14 minute cooling down period after 45 seconds of strenuous operations. That's pretty concerning. If they are that slow, will 45 seconds be enough to extricate yourself out of trouble? Is the Polaris winch worth spending 6 times as much? How hard or easy is it to install compared to the Polaris which seems to be pre-wired in the Sportsman 570.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I used mine a lot over the weekend and didn't have any trouble with having to let it cool down. Guess i didn't read that lol. I though the install was real simple myself just basically running wires and trimming them where you want them and bolting the solinoid down. Get a KFI plate and throw the one in the box away

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used mine a lot over the weekend and didn't have any trouble with having to let it cool down. Guess i didn't read that lol. I though the install was real simple myself just basically running wires and trimming them where you want them and bolting the solinoid down. Get a KFI plate and throw the one in the box away
I ordered the plate that's suggested Harbor Freight (think it's the only one they have.) Is the KFI plate different? There was not one included with the winch. Do I have to make a cutout in the grill to install this? Haven't put the winch and the ATV in the same place yet.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My winch had a plate included but no way it would work without some more material. The KFI is made to bolt on to the pre drilled holes that are one our frames and then the badlands winch bolts to it. Much cleaner and easier install. You don't have to cut out the grill if you don't want to. There is just body clips that hold it on so you can take it off completely and it still looks good. I will post some pictures of mine after work for you

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
There's gonna be somebody on this thread that will say "you get what you pay for" and "I'll only get a Warn or Viper", etc. I just want to put it out there that both Warn and Viper have failed me when I needed them most.
How bought super winch, I've had/have 3 now and owned 6, granted 3 were in/on trailers doing car winching duties so not much use. ones on the toys, have been drowned in water/mud holes seemingly most times we ride and as always, we seem to require winches almost every ride (not including the work we use them for) but I'm a SW nutswinger just because I've never had one fail me...had a 2500lb unit that required a snatch block more than a few times, but that's because I was a moron and bought a 2500lb unit for an ATV that got stuck/helped other's get unstuck...but never failed/always and still do work.

On a side note I have recommended those HF winches since a few guys on here say they seem to work for awhile and they're cheap/disposable...nobody I know has ever bought one yet, but for all my cheap assed buddies I suggest them.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've had my Badlands 3000lb winch and KFI mount for several years, I have used it a lot, more for pulling things than getting me unstuck. It works great, pulling huge trees off the road to the cabin, chained the ATV to a tree to keep it from sliding and helped a friend get his F250 up a slippery hill by his cabin. The KFI mount is a quality product. I have an 850XP didn't have to cut to put it in, just remove the bottom grill cover between the fangs.

·
Registered
728 Posts
My 3500 lb Badlands winch has worked flawlessly since its install , I see Harbor Freight is selling 50' sections of 3/16" Synthetic Winch Rope now for $25 . Going to pick up one and throw it in the bag for a back up.
Has anyone tested this rope yet ? Harbor Freight Item # 62183.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The 2500# badlands fairlead will not fit the kfi mount. The 3500# fits just fine. Found this out the hard way. Made my own fairlead and the 2500# works really well, but the wireless remote has a long lag time to it (press the button for a split second and it winds up for a few seconds).

·
Registered
728 Posts
The 2500# badlands fairlead will not fit the kfi mount. The 3500# fits just fine. Found this out the hard way. Made my own fairlead and the 2500# works really well, but the wireless remote has a long lag time to it (press the button for a split second and it winds up for a few seconds).
Why won't the hawse fairlead work ? The bolt spacing should be the same distance. Is something else causing a problem ?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Why won't the hawse fairlead work ? The bolt spacing should be the same distance. Is something else causing a problem ?

The hawse fairlead will work, but my local HF only has the aluminum one and I dont think it'll hold up with that steel cable dragging across it. I did go ahead and buy the hawse and the syn rope to replace the cable whenever it breaks. The problem is the bolt hole location on the 2500# fairlead are about 1/4" shorter than the kfi mount.

·
Registered
426 Posts
A hawse fairlead is ONLY supposed to be used with a synthetic rope. Cable will marr it all up.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
728 Posts

The hawse fairlead will work, but my local HF only has the aluminum one and I dont think it'll hold up with that steel cable dragging across it. I did go ahead and buy the hawse and the syn rope to replace the cable whenever it breaks. The problem is the bolt hole location on the 2500# fairlead are about 1/4" shorter than the kfi mount.
X2 on ONLY using the Hawse Fairlead for Synthetic Rope. The bolt spacing should be the same distance on the 2500lb and 3500lb winch. Sometimes you may need slightly longer bolts to mount them up to the bracket because of the thickness of the fairlead inside the recessed holes.

·
Registered
119 Posts

X2 on ONLY using the Hawse Fairlead for Synthetic Rope. The bolt spacing should be the same distance on the 2500lb and 3500lb winch. Sometimes you may need slightly longer bolts to mount them up to the bracket because of the thickness of the fairlead inside the recessed holes.
Yea I thought so too, but they aren't. Here are some pics. Longer bolts aint gonna help that lol, but the hause fits fine. I made fine from D2 and the bolt holes are 4.875" on center.

Attachments

·
Vendor
395 Posts
Yes, hawse fairleads for synthetic rope. Rollers can pinch in the corner and they are more prone to dings that can compromise the rope.

Be careful of the Chinese made ropes......they are rubbish compared to the European made dyneema and the USA made AMSTEEL-BLUE.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts