Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: Every-one
I found the forums on this sight to be of great help in the last few months. I decided to join and share some of my experiences and of course tribulations.
My 2012 Sportsman 500 HO is my daily driver---no I ain't got no pick-up to load it in--In fact there are less than 30 trucks in our little hamlet of 1200 people. I depend on it every day. Walking to work or school in my case is down hill all the way --sweet HUH---not---GOTTA GET HOME AFTER 4 and guess what ======you guessed it UP-HILL ALL THE WAY ---60% grade over 2 Kilos. Mister macho I am not---and I hate to say it parents I am BEAT about 3:55 pm ---My machine has been serving me great---until Modays Blizzard hit------minus 45 and 130 KILO winds-------Yep you guessed it my oil tank blew apart on my way home today.
Phone the dealer only to be told ain't got one ---maybe 2-3 Weeks. any-how you members in the South Hunting right now keep us poor guys up here in mind.

Have a great new year every-one.

P:S----:cowboy: :suspect: If you have any ideas on how to prevent blown tanks in the Artic let me know

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
Damn, you are way up north. Estimated and bid a couple of jobs up there. No offense, but you can have it. lol Don't have an answer about your oil tank though. Sounds like you found the limit to when it's too cold to ride. Other than heated parking and warming it up good before taking it out in that kind of cold, not sure what you can do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi: Thanks for the help--They tell me there is a breather line that may have been plugged with snow ??? Ordered the block heater in-line from Artic Cat should help some--was going to try a heat pad but then someone said it may get too hot ??? Don't know--!!!----If you have bid some jobs here ---don't know what you do but if I can help in any way let me know--This is my 6th year here and once you get used to the weather its really not bad. Great hunting and fishing--I am considered a resident now so licensing is not a problem---Cheers---Don

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
It was a year or two ago. They were going to build a new port and a rail line running to it. Something happened to the owners financing and I haven't seen or heard any more about it for some time. It is some beautiful country up there during the summer, but don't think I could deal with the winter months.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi: Thanks for the help--They tell me there is a breather line that may have been plugged with snow ???
Welcome Don :shakehands:

Baffin island is way up there! Any polar bears left?

Breather line is way up at the top of the oil tank. You wouldn't know it was there if you weren't looking for it. Even if the slit plugged with snow, it breathes to the air box and should have had some pressure relief I would think?

Rarely, you will see a post around here about a rock or stick breaking the polymer resin tank and the poster inquiring about making a metal tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi: Yep we still got Polar Bears--Moratoriam lifted.
Found out I had a tiny bit of Ice in my breather line AND ---THE DUMB $%^& dealer didn't prime the pump. Blew the tank the other night. Had one aired in at a Nasty $175.00 and $55.00 air freight. Got it good and warm and changed tank in the inside shop at my school. Have been checking closely---every time I stop I check the oil res for pressure---So far so good---Have heat pad and Artic cat in line heater on rad hose ordered not here yet ---anyhow stiill really cold but I am mobile----CHEERS.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Sorry to hear that your dealer is unfamiliar with a design that has been around for a while. Unprimed pump is not good (yikes)! But lad you got it all squared away. Hope you have nothing but good luck from here on!

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome! I myself am in Iqaluit. Nice to see another person from Baffin Island here!

I've had my machine parked for the last couple months, too cold. I know a couple ppl who have blown oil tanks. Not sure what the solution may be if there really is one. I've heard that you need to change your oil weekly in the winter to stop the condensation buildup in the oil. You can see the oil get milky white from condensation and I was constantly checking mine but then it got so cold the machine was freezing up and I would have to push it inside my work for twenty minutes to get it to fire up.

I myself ordered a pad heater and was gonna put it on the aluminum crank case, was gonna get a similar but smaller wattage one for the resevoir tank also. Plus i got a battery blanket and trickle charger. So next year I may give it a shot in the winter but she runs so good summer spring and fall that I'm not sure I want to chance hurting it as it is my daily driver as well.

Anyway we should talk more in the future!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi: I put on the 50 watt pad on the outside of the oil tank. It gets fairly warm make sure you seal with high temp silicone. I didn't have any so I used JB weld to seal around the outside it also helps discipate the heat. I usually leave on for 2-3 hours. I have a timer hooked to my extension cord along with a small hand held type battery charger I bought from Yamaha. I leave the charger in the back Tool Box. Ran cord from pad through the tool box. Both are plugged in at the same time. Seems to have solved the problem. She starts good and only takes 5-10 minutes to warm-up. I also got an aluminum tank from a 1999--I am going to swap it out this summer---there was a block heater produced by Polaris that bolts snuggly to the aluminum side tank. I have one of those as well so I am not taking any chances-----Nice to hear from another Baffin Boy. Keep in touch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts