Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any ideas on how to transport bait bucket on ATV without losing all the water and killing shiners? I've gone ice fishing once this year with my atv and by the time I got to the pond my shiners were floating in very little water. It is a long rough ride to the pond. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
put a lid on the bucket?

·
Registered
615 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bait bucket has a lid but it has holes in it for the shiners to get air. Should I use a bucket with a solid lid? Will it kill the shiners?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try the ziploc bag inside the bucket, should the shiners survive roughly half an hour in the ziploc bag?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
how long is the ride to the fishing hole? and how many shiners in the bucket? the splashing will incorporate new air into the water in the bucket if you leave some air in it so I doubt you'd kill them if you had a lid with no holes.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Get a bucket holder and as mentioned... a bucket lid or zip lock freezer bags.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the air unless it's hours of riding to get to your pond..... if you car concerned only drill one 1/4" hole in the bucket. Plenty of air and won't splash much as it will only "glug" water as it does not have a second air inlet to displace the water (like a gas can vent, we've all played with your finger over the hole :D). And/Or buy a battery powered aerator!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to go try the zip loc bags. I will let you know how it worked. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
they make the coolers with the air pump (battery) they work great no spill and the shiners are happy
small cooler like a 6 pack cooler

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
just use a 5 gallon bucket or use a 3 gallon one from lowes...then get one of them cheap battery operated bait air pumps....thats what we use..once you get to your site shut it off and just do water changes every hour with fresh oxygenated water from a hole close by...the zip loc bags dont work..trust me...or use a small cooler and strap it on drill a small hole in lid to run air line thru....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Put the bait bucket just the part with the holes in a 5gal bucket. Then put the top on and ride. The water splashing as you drive will add oxygen to the water. I have done this many times works great.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Okay, uhmmm, okay. Correct me if I am wrong but is the end result for the shiners not to have a hook put through their head and stuck back in the water? Do fish not swim in water that has oxygen infused into it by mother nature? Put the darn things in a bucket with water, put a lid on it and drive to the fishing hole. As long as it is not in another time zone I think you will be fine. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you are getting the shiners at a bait store, have the guy who bags your bait double bag your shiners, and keep them in that bag until you get to your destination. The bag should stay intact until you get there

Forget the bait bucket altogether. Drill a partial hole in the ice, say a half foot to a foot deep( depending on the ice depth of course) dump your minnows in there, along with some of the lake water. If they are jumpy minnows cover the hole with something so they dont jump out.
eventually a thin ice layer will form anyway, and they cant jump. mother natures bait bucket. ( keep bag in case you move spots)

Works like a charm. :trink4: happy fishing

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went with the Ziploc bags and it worked. The dozen shiners survived and no water was lost. I went through the whole dozen in less than two hours however it was mostly small pickerel...nothing worth bragging about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts