Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed some slight up and down play on my ball joints, with it jacked off the ground. It’s a 2013 500. I assume there should be zero play.

What is the recommended replaced. OEM or is there something stronger. Is it a pain to replace? I think I would try and purchase the removal tool. Those tiny screws that hold the cover look like they will be fun to remove.

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
Tool or some cut pieces of pipe and plate would work. I've never had trouble with the screws. I use OEM ball joints. I've come to accept some play. If I didn't I would be replacing parts ALL the time. Little heat and freezing the ball-joint goes a long way on the installation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tool or some cut pieces of pipe and plate would work. I've never had trouble with the screws. I use OEM ball joints. I've come to accept some play. If I didn't I would be replacing parts ALL the time. Little heat and freezing the ball-joint goes a long way on the installation.
So true. Maybe I shouldn’t be so picky. Thanks for the pipe idea. I guess the pipe would be bigger than the joint. And you would pull it out through the plate.

·
Registered
884 Posts

Definitely freeze the new BJ and heat the bottom of your strut before installing the new BJ. A propane torch works fine, just give it a couple minutes. The new one slides right in with minimal effort.

I don't bother to pull the strut off the machine anymore. Just hookup my puller, heat the bottom of the strut for 2 mins and yank the old out. Clean up the bore, re-heat, and slide new in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Definitely freeze the new BJ and heat the bottom of your strut before installing the new BJ. A propane torch works fine, just give it a couple minutes. The new one slides right in with minimal effort.

I don't bother to pull the strut off the machine anymore. Just hookup my puller, heat the bottom of the strut for 2 mins and yank the old out. Clean up the bore, re-heat, and slide new in.
Awesome. I’m going to make that puller

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
Nice!!! Thanks Mike for posting up that link!! That's the one I was thinking of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts