Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
i duct taped them to the bottom of my front storage box. i know sounds shitty, but its betetr than them bouncing around. i plan try and find a better solution come spring.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know there is a thread on here about it....just have to find it.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
450 Posts
How big are they? The aluminum vertical frame members in front of the radiator sound like a prime mounting location, may have to make/modify a bracket for the ballasts though.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably 3" square.Will have a look at that location and see if they fit

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 500 Sportsman... What I did was mount it directly to the plastic by drilling 2 small holes on either side of the ballast, then zip tied them on. All you would have to do is find a suitable space on the 850 out of the way near the electronics.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I mounted mine in the front bumper under the storage box. I hollowed out a bit of the plastic that says Polaris on the front bumper and they fit great. Close to the lights, out of the way of other stuff and I can take off my box anytime I want without worrying about the wiring. I don't have a picture unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
After the company that I bought mine from shipped me my third set for free I decided the best place to mount them was in the trash can. I run led's

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ want to go this route, what bulbs are you using?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Who sells a pod HID kit that is not over priced.I see some on ebay for as much as i paid for my low beam set.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
^ want to go this route, what bulbs are you using?
Its not just the bulbs. It is the polaris led headlight kit. Yes it is expensive but after the third set of ballast went out I figured it was worth the money. They are much brighter too. I cant even tell when the pod light is turned on. The pod light makes no difference at all.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Do these ballasts get hot and do they need a area where they will be cooled by air movement..

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure about hot but i think they get warm.I mounted mine in behind the both sides of the front fang as polaris calls it.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Not sure about hot but i think they get warm.I mounted mine in behind the both sides of the front fang as polaris calls it.

ok good....was not sure if the ballast got hot like some light ballasts...but I think mounting like you did will still get air to them....I ride alot at night...I coyote hunt...but love a bright trail...

Now do you see any power consumption with them...I just got some 27W LED lights to put on...to lessen power use on battery...but thinking either HID or a 85 watt light bar....I love daylight at night..lol.....

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've only used them one night but they are 35 watt like the oem lights.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

ok good....was not sure if the ballast got hot like some light ballasts...but I think mounting like you did will still get air to them....I ride alot at night...I coyote hunt...but love a bright trail...

Now do you see any power consumption with them...I just got some 27W LED lights to put on...to lessen power use on battery...but thinking either HID or a 85 watt light bar....I love daylight at night..lol.....
Ket me know how those work out! i have been wanting the LED lgith kit from Polaris, but they are too pricey for me right now. Maybe in the future. for nwo im thinking some decent LED bulbs, to get rid of the ballasts and then add a small light bar with some output.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I got the 3 light sportsman kit from Thor. Put one in the pod light with ballast in there and the other two behind the Polaris logo in the front bumper by the radiator. They do not get hot but get warm and overheating has not been an issue. at all.

·
Registered
450 Posts
How much of a difference does it really make, going from stock to the HID kits from Thor (theatvsuperstore.com)? Can you tell a significant difference in the spread and/or depth of the beams? I'm considering an upgrade, and I like the plug and play option of the kit from Thor, but I'm curious if its a vast improvement or not, since it's staying within the same wattage range.

Anybody have any before and after pics with that kit?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts