Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 sportsman 500 that is leaking oil from the base gasket and dripping down onto the oil pump. Can someone tell me how hard of a job it is to change the base gasket and all the other gaskets above it. I just changed the water pump and oil seal and thought I had the wheeler ready to go. Should I do rings while the cylinder is off?

·
Registered
2 Posts
2005 RGR 4x4- cylinder gasket oil leak

I have a similar problem, my '05 RGR 4x4 engine leaks a few drops of oil while engine is running. If left to idle, the leakage increases to where I can see a small flow out of the cylinder gasket area right before it dies. The leak is in the area next to to oil filter, bit is clearly at the split line of block and cyl. The leak stops when the engine shuts off.

My question is the same, do I need to pull the head and cyl ASAP and change the gaskets, or can I try some high temp RTV w/out pulling cyl and head ?

If yes on gaskets, should piston rings be changed ?

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Take it apart and change the gasket. That corner is where the oil pumps up to the top of motor. You dont want to mess around with oil starvation to top. If it runs good and no problems, id reuse my rings unless its got a lot of miles on it

·
9,461 Posts
If you're going to take it apart anyway, you'd be foolish in my opinion not to at least hone it and put a fresh set of rings in.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Depending on the shop $500 to $1000

When the top end is taken off to replace the gasket, it's going to get a new set of rings, new head gasket, coolant, oil & filter and probably some parts that unknown to be worn or defective until it is taken apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts