Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first thread on the forum. I bought a 2011 polaris sportsman 500HO about a year ago and all of a sudden I'm starting to have some problems with it. First off my quad keeps indicating I have a dead battery, but when I put my battery tender on the battery it shows it's fully charged. While I'm riding the quad it will just blink for awhile then stop and then show up again, and I don't know what it could be.

Second my quad will not go into 4hi, it will go into 2hi with the shifter but when I hit the switch nothing happens. Also when I put the shifter into 2hi my "H" will not show up on my display screen but will still drive around in 2hi. All other gears 4lo, 2lo, N, R, P work perfectly and show up on my display screen.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
505 Posts
Could be time to replace the battery. And as for the second problem the gear shift is p-r-n-l-h. And on the right side of the handle bars is the 2x4 or awd button. On the display when in hi it will show a H and when in awd it will show a 4 tire icon. Your quad runs in 2wd untill the rears slip then the front tires will engage when in awd.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
434 Posts
sounds like a cracked cell only allowing you battery to have 10.5 volts, go into diagnostic mode...neutral then hold yellow button and turn key to on, then scroll through with yellow button till you get to voltage good battery will be at 12.6ish.....this is just a quik test wont tell you forsure but give you an idea, best bet is take your battery to an auto parts store for a load test. and as for the shifter issue it sounds like either your gear selector switch(black box on side of tranny with 6 or so wires coming out is either fried or you have a broken wire going to it high is furthest wire to your left when looking at the side of the plug with the clip on it schematics say DB/RED thinking dark brown and red

also when your in 2 high will the H show up??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds like a cracked cell only allowing you battery to have 10.5 volts, go into diagnostic mode...neutral then hold yellow button and turn key to on, then scroll through with yellow button till you get to voltage good battery will be at 12.6ish.....this is just a quik test wont tell you forsure but give you an idea, best bet is take your battery to an auto parts store for a load test. and as for the shifter issue it sounds like either your gear selector switch(black box on side of tranny with 6 or so wires coming out is either fried or you have a broken wire going to it high is furthest wire to your left when looking at the side of the plug with the clip on it schematics say DB/RED thinking dark brown and red

also when your in 2 high will the H show up??
When in 2hi it shows no symbol on the screen, when I put it in 4hi still nothing and no 4x4 on left of screen. When I put it in 2lo it shows a L and when in 4lo it shows the L and 4x4 symbol on left. I've tried holding the shifter forward to see if it would show up but still nothing. I've checked the plug to make sure it is pushed in but haven't checked for any loose wires.

Thanks

·
11,589 Posts
Check all connections first but it sorta sounds like you may have a short in the wire off the tranny gear position switch or a bad switch. The short (or a short in the switch itself) may be causing the battery warning AND the issue of not showing the H and not allowing AWD when in H....That would be my guess.
Do you get the battery warning when in L or R...If not, that again would point back to the tranny switch as being the culprit.

·
Registered
434 Posts
is that with the bike running? do it without the motor running thats to high for it not to be running not running fully charged is 2.6 and running should be just over 14v and since the symbol doesnt show in 4x4 or 2x4 its either a wire broken to that plug on the tranny right below shifter linkage or the plug itself hmm theres a way to test if its the plug ill look it up...what ur batt say without motor running???

·
Registered
434 Posts
here to test

Set your multimeter to ohms and touch one lead to the white wire as it exits the resistor module and keep it there. Now pick up the plug to the gear position indicator switch and touch the other lead on each of the wires (ignore the brown/red one) noting the resistance on each one.

The resistance should read as follows: +/- 5%
Orange/Red = 24 Ohms
Violet = 75 Ohms
Green/White = 160 Ohms
White/Blue = 300 Ohms
Blue/Red = 620

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is that with the bike running? do it without the motor running thats to high for it not to be running not running fully charged is 2.6 and running should be just over 14v and since the symbol doesnt show in 4x4 or 2x4 its either a wire broken to that plug on the tranny right below shifter linkage or the plug itself hmm theres a way to test if its the plug ill look it up...what ur batt say without motor running???
That is with the motor not running, I put it in neutral, hold yellow button, turn key to on but not start and just went to voltage.

I've been trying to load a video of what exactly is going on but photobucket won't load it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
something seams wrong already your battery is over charged unless you just boosted it? is it plugged into any sort of charger?? but as for your switch do you have an ohm meter? try doing those tests

·
Registered
505 Posts
Any luck with finding out what the problem is?? Anxious to find out cause I have a 2011 sportsman 500 also.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Whats the voltage say when you turn the lights on? Was that picture taken right after shutting off the atv? 13 volts resting is high should be in the 12's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any luck with finding out what the problem is?? Anxious to find out cause I have a 2011 sportsman 500 also.

Not yet, I have to grab a multimeter but I have been busy with Xmas stuff going on.

Whats the voltage say when you turn the lights on? Was that picture taken right after shutting off the atv? 13 volts resting is high should be in the 12's.
With the lights on I'm not sure what the voltage is I will have to get back to you on that, but I unplugged that connection to my trans and plugged it back in and then tried the voltage and it came up 12.6 like the guy said before in the thread. I will have to get back to you guys when I get a multimeter.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
455 Posts
here to test

Set your multimeter to ohms and touch one lead to the white wire as it exits the resistor module and keep it there. Now pick up the plug to the gear position indicator switch and touch the other lead on each of the wires (ignore the brown/red one) noting the resistance on each one.

The resistance should read as follows: +/- 5%
Orange/Red = 24 Ohms
Violet = 75 Ohms
Green/White = 160 Ohms
White/Blue = 300 Ohms
Blue/Red = 620
Isn't there a screen in diagnostic mode that shows resistance and you can shift between gears to check all. Also another screen that show AWD on/off

iIrc

·
Registered
434 Posts
mabye on the xp's value line just shows batt v's

and drdirty try wiggling the plug on tranny see if it helps if not its most likely that switch i had the same thing happen to mine very easy to replace(unplug, take 2 screws out, plug new one in, bolt on

·
Registered
434 Posts
ive never seen it on my 09 i kno u scroll with the override button i get time, km/mi, volt, ect never seen ohms

·
Registered
862 Posts
Humm, my 13 does. In diagnostic mode it gives you voltage, service interval, gear resistance and some other stuff I believe.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts