Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 Explorer 400. Worked thru the winter. This spring battery was dead. Would jump and run on cables but kill when I pulled the cables. Battery would not charge again. Got a new battery to see if that would fix the problem since I knew I needed a battery anyway but figured it was the stator since it killed right when I pulled cables. Tried new battery. Ran great for 3 minutes and died. Then ran fine on jumper charger but new battery was completely dead and will not charge.

Can a new battery go bad that fast with bad stator? I am now figuring that it is the rectifier sending too much/bad voltage to battery and frying it and sending bad voltage to spark plug making it kill when not on jumpers.

I tested the stator and between all 3 wire combinations was 22 VAC idling and 65 VAC gassed. The old rectifier was testing .5 VDC. I received a new rectifier and it tested the same, .5 VDC.

Can the new rectifier be bad as well or am I overlooking something? Can the stator be bad while still testing proper voltage? Should I be checking something else?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I have the same issue on my Polaris Sportsman 450. Did you ever find the solution to this problem?
 

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
Joined
·
5,962 Posts
I have the same issue on my Polaris Sportsman 450. Did you ever find the solution to this problem?
Welcome.gif
to the forum
Cheers.gif


Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly. You will be given more advice than you could hope for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,266 Posts
I have the same issue on my Polaris Sportsman 450. Did you ever find the solution to this problem?
98 Sportsman 400 does not need a battery to run - the battery is just to operate certain DC accessories and prevent the charging system from burining out the lights - the battery acts as a buffer and if it is removed or completely dead, the lights can burn out from high voltage. One of the DC accessories the battery is responsible for operating is the starter motor.

Although scottie was on here 5 months ago and since this thread is 6 years old, I presume the problem was fixed or the vehicle was disposed of. You will get a better response by starting a new thread.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top