Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a used Polaris outlaw 90 it’s in great shape but a week after my son was riding it it stalled. Something keeps draining the battery. I don’t know much about them. I am going to order a new battery but worried this one will drain as well.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Check the AC voltage from the stator - should be above 25 volts and rise as engine speed increases - if voltage is good, get a new rec/reg from Polaris - I have tried numerous after market units and have not found one wired the same as the Polaris unit - some blow fuses and some simply fail to charge.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Check the AC voltage from the stator - should be above 25 volts and rise as engine speed increases - if voltage is good, get a new rec/reg from Polaris - I have tried numerous after market units and have not found one wired the same as the Polaris unit - some blow fuses and some simply fail to charge.
Latebird are you saying get rec/reg from Polaris exclusively for this model or all Polaris models?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was blowing fuses at one time but they disconnected the neutral and reverse light indicators and it stopped.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
The Chinese made Polaris is wired to Polaris specification which is different than the run of the mill Chinese 50's and 90's - the cheap rec/reg offered on Ebay and Amazon will certainly 'fit', bolt up and plug in, but I have not yet found one that actually works as it is supposed to - when it comes to Polaris, you are better off getting the OEM part than spending $40 for a hand full on the 'fits' version that does not work as it is supposed to. If you are savvy and can figure out which wire goes where, you could rewire the plug on the wiring harness and make it work, but so far it has eluded me. It's not worth my time to spend 1/2 hour to try to make a $7 part work when in less than 5 minutes I can have it done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts