Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Exide AGM battery for my 2005 Polaris 500 H.O. about 6 months ago.
The other day I went to start it and the battery was almost dead, I thought I might
have left the switch on so I charged the battery up and after a few hours I started
reading the battery. Day 1 12.39v, Day 2 12.25v, Day 3 12.19v, Day 4 12.14v.
That's where I'm at now, I also took a reading and it stayed above 10v when starting.
So is this voltage drop normal? I could see if I didn't ride for awhile the battery would be
dead. I have never had this starting problem before with my old battery. Its under
warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the machine charging while running? Should have around 14.5 volts at 3000 rpm. If not, you need a voltage regulator.
The ATV reads 14.3v at 3000 RPM, I went to start it and battery is to low to even start it so I had to recharge
it to get it running.

·
11,021 Posts
Put a full slow charge on the battery and then load test it. You likely have a bad battery from the sounds of it. You may want to check for parasitic draw if it appears the charging system is good and the battery is in spec.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Check the stator for a short to ground - if the stator is shorted it may read a charging voltage, but AC may be present riding on the DC ans AC will discharge a battery and kill it while riding and showing a good charging voltage.

·
11,021 Posts
Check the stator for a short to ground - if the stator is shorted it may read a charging voltage, but AC may be present riding on the DC ans AC will discharge a battery and kill it while riding and showing a good charging voltage.
Yep. That's a possibility too. Need to check/test the entire charging system to determine where the problem is.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Un hook the battery and charge it. Then keep track of voltage while it is unhooked. If it draining while sitting there......... then you know if its the battery or not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to unhook the battery and read it over a few days to see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts