Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is elementary but I am a woman recently on her own. Battery in Polaris 355 was unhooked by ex. I have bought a new battery and filled and charged it. Then went to re-hook it and there are 5 leads. The 4 are pretty obvious because they only reach the positive or negative terminals. However there is a 5th lead that will reach either terminal. It is the largest in circumference and comes from the front control panel area. Does this hook to the positive or negative terminal on the battery. Also, does it matter in which order these are attached to the terminals?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Order doesn't matter. That 5th one will be hard to figure out as it's probably an accessory. Try and trace it to where it goes first then we'll take it from there.

Not that it's definitive, but what colour is the wire?

Mark

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Faced with this type of situation, I would do everything possible to physically trace the wire. Since you can't, I would not hook it up and see what doesn't work. Does it look like a factory terminal or does it look like it was added afterwards? How thick is the wire? Can you post a photo (of the wire)?

Being black it most likely is a ground (batt negative).

Mark

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Does the wheeler have a winch or plow on the front of it? Also, connect the positive leads on the battery first, then connect the ground leads last to keep from arching anything by accident. Oh and by the way, Welcome to the forum Buddy

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
What was I thinking.... Buddy was correct..... positives first.

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your help so far. There is a winch. Could the 5th wire possibly go to that, and if so, do I hook it to positive or negative?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts