Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had to always put Charger or keep Trickle Charger on 2012 Sportsman 500 HO since purchased last year. (Read a lot about Crappy Charging System) Connected battery charger and battery was at 50%......charger got to 90% and just stayed there but battery got HOT to the touch and had a funny odor. Was almost like battery was boiling or something. It is a new Gel Battery that the dealer installed last year because battery that was on when purchased NEW was junk. Any help or suggestions??

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
It almost sounds like a shorted cell in that battery. The charger sees it as being low, and is forcing the other 5 cells to accept the total charge. It will boil (or heat up) and will smell like rotten eggs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,354 Posts
what charger are you using?
How many amps is it pushing on "trickle"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will have to find specs/brand on charger in a little bit. It is a "Smart Charge" that charges and then applies a "Trickle". Seems to be starting fine.....even when cold. Isn't idling right as of now but think there is Slack in Cable that I am checking today (suggested from other post). The Charger has a "Gel" Selection when selecting charge method. Going to pull battery this morning and give it a look over. Thanks for Responses and will get info back on here today or Tommy!!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,464 Posts
As long as your pulling the battery, run to the auto parts store and have it load tested..... this will help to see if it has a bad cell.

When your charging the battery, the charging process puts off hydrogen gas.... it can smell like wrotten eggs. The process also produces heat, so I'm not supprised your battery is getting warn. But "hot" may be a different stroy, as explained above with resistance. Like I stated above have a reputable parts store (not the atv dealer) check it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,412 Posts
Chargers are different than Maintainers. A charger will keep forcing amperage into the battery even when it is full and then it boils the acid/water. A maintainer will sense the state and turn itself off for a while. Sounds like you overcharged your battery. It may be fine but you should have it checked and get a battery maintainer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,464 Posts
Chargers are different than Maintainers. A charger will keep forcing amperage into the battery even when it is full and then it boils the acid/water. A maintainer will sense the state and turn itself off for a while. Sounds like you overcharged your battery. It may be fine but you should have it checked and get a battery maintainer.
Good Catch and Call InRBigness!! :stupid: If left on for days at a time..... make sure your using a battery "tender" or "maintainer".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE!!!! Top of Battery can't be seen because of location on quad. Removed Battery and seems it is NOT a Gel.....Was told it was by Dealer when installed. One of Caps was gone and Level was WELL Below Low Level Line. Found a Cap off of old Battery that will fit. Should I just buy new battery or Fill Old One with Distilled Water, Charge and have it Load Tested?? And use Battery Charger when needs charged and a Trickle Charger to Maintain. Never left Charger on after Battery was Charged. Have Several Types but one of my Chargers Charges and then enters "Maintain" which cycles on and off. And is Dielectric Grease the Best to apply to Connections for Mud/Water getting on them?? Glad I came on here to LEARN that a CHARGER can't be left on for DAYS!!:#

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,412 Posts
I would put distilled water in and see. What do you have to loose. It may be low because it boiled off. Missing cap didn't help though.

Easy on yourself MustBeNice, even a blind pig gets an acorn now or then. :)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top