Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Guys: I have an 05 , 500 Sportsman I replaced my battery this year and overhauled the starter,,just had it out for a 15 km run and the battery indicator began flashing while driving,, and on the way back the bike started to miss at high revs,,,,it went out when I slowed to idol, came on when moving ,, any hints as to where I should start looking?(Stator maybe?): Thanks,, Hilton

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Hello,
DONT OVERLOOK the obvious....

Check your connections FIRST!! Loose connections will cause this. SO WILL A BAD battery, just cause its new dosent eliminate it from suspicion!!

CW

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it is the voltage regulator,,, tested it this week and it's showing up to 18+volts when revved up,,,I think it's the black box under the front light??,, doesn't show it in a picture,, ,,

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think it is the voltage regulator,,, tested it this week and it's showing up to 18+volts when revved up,,,I think it's the black box under the front light??,, doesn't show it in a picture,, ,,
Have to agree with you on the voltage regulator. Classic symptoms. You should only be getting about 15vdc max when under power. My XP did the same thing. Would act up under power and even blew out a headlight. Should be an easy fix. :beer:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had the same problem and my starter bolt fell out from the heavy riding we were doing.... I check everything except the starter and the top bolt fell out and the awd didn't work either!!! Im just saying that's what my did yours could be different if its flashing somethings out or loose (wire connections)good luck bud and hopefully its as easy as that but probably not? lol another hundred bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol join the club

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
upon further investigation after I pulled the stator ,, it looks like it burnt up,, bad charring on one pole,, it just gets better ,,,,,and better,,,,,,this looks like an e-bay part for sure,, I think dealer price will be a shock to the system,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
85 Posts
upon further investigation after I pulled the stator ,, it looks like it burnt up,, bad charring on one pole,, it just gets better ,,,,,and better,,,,,,this looks like an e-bay part for sure,, I think dealer price will be a shock to the system,,,,,,,,
I got mine off of ebay and it is working good.. I only paid 89 bucks for it,which is pretty good

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hunting season opens next week and I won't have time to wait,, my dealer brings them in from a re-build supplier,, gonna have to bite the bullet this time and order one,, will have it next week so I can get in the woods

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Battery indicator flashing

stator ordered on Friday ,,delivered on Tuesday,,installed on Wed,,,,hunting today,,problem solved,, only had to solder the three yellow leads to the triple plug from the old unit,,everything else plugged right in,, thanks for the comments,, happy trails ,,, Hilton

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
stator ordered on Friday ,,delivered on Tuesday,,installed on Wed,,,,hunting today,,problem solved,, only had to solder the three yellow leads to the triple plug from the old unit,,everything else plugged right in,, thanks for the comments,, happy trails ,,, Hilton
Glad you found the problem!

Good luck hunting!

CW

·
Registered
392 Posts
Glad you found the problem and thanks for posting the fix!

Good luck out there hunting!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts