Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all!! I have a questions regarding my battery. I have a 2013 Sportsman 850 XP EPS LE. I have a plow, 2500 Winch, and fog lights. I also have brush guards front and back. Anyways, I plow three short driveways. No lights on, in Low. After so long. The battery dies. I called the dealership. They say that because your in Low and the Winch uses so much juice. After letting it sit for some time. It starts right up and everything is fine. The battery doesn't get enough time to charge. Has anyone else had this issue? Do you think my battery isn't good. I use a battery tender after each ride too. Quad is stored in a garage with no heat. Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 2013 550 with plow w/rotator and winch. I use a battery tender all the time and my garage is not heated. Haven't had the problem of dead battery. Even after plowing 4 huge driveways, 2 of them twice, I had plenty of juice. The more you lift and lower the plow, the more you drain your battery. That's just the nature of the beast, it's a huge amp pull. Keep your eye on your light switch. I've bumped mine a few times while wearing snowmobile gloves and didn't realize they were on. I don't believe driving in low is the problem. Keeping your RPM's up is a good thing because that's what's charging the battery. Maybe try to raise throttle a little while raising the plow. Sure hope it isn't a battery problem.

Just had a thought, make sure the battery tender isn't on a switched outlet. My buddy did this and he couldn't figure out why his tender wasn't charging.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

I was told at the dealer that Polaris has a kill switch in the quad. If the battery does not have enough juice to turn over the engine. It will shut the quad off. I am being more cautious with the battery. This two feet we just got in NJ. I'm not plowing too much with it now. The quad can definitely do the job. I'll watch my RPMs. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Winch uses a ton of power. The first thing you should do is get a maintainer so that the battery is always full when you start. The second thing you should do is get an Odyssey 925L battery or similar. It is twice the size of the factory one and will fit with no issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts