Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the last two weeks, my ATV has TWICE failed to start because the battery is empty.

But the weird part is that I've had it for a year and it always started fine even in -25c but now when it's only like -1 or -2 it won't start. Is this because of some backlog of not charging it and if I once load it fully it won't be an issue anymore or should I just get a new battery?

If I should get a new battery, how will I make it fit in the tiny spot of the current battery, or do good batteries exist that are that small?

It's the -14 EPS version.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
It's common to have to replace the garbage Polaris batteries. I just had to replace mine with 50hrs on the clock. I upgraded to a good Deka gel battery. They have a larger capacity and higher cold cranking amps. You can take them all the way down and they still have a way of recharging and not destroying the battery. Deka makes good products.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Forgot to mention my buddy has a 2015 570 eps. His battery would come right off the tender and still seemed rather weak. He also upgraded to a Deka gel battery and now it's better than new. Even though the batteries are both new, we still keep them on battery tenders after every shut off.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Get a better battery. the Polaris stock batteries have been an issue for quite some time now. with people having to change them within two weeks of buying the machine. Others get 7+ years out of them. it's really hit and miss.

Get a good, high capacity sealed gel battery and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
$60-$150+ I want to say I paid $80 or $90 for mine.

Just dependent on the amp hours, and box size. do a search for the stock size and go from there. most sites when I was looking would give you dimensions of the battery, so long as they are the same physical size LxHxW you can get as high an Amp Hour (AH) as you want. the higher the number, the longer the battery will run without anything recharging it. this is good if your stator goes mid ride. The larger cold cranking amps, the stronger it will be in cold temps.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just bought a "big Crank" AGM type for $79.99 from batterymart.com. Free shipping and arrived in 2 days.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Darth -- Test your charging system...just in case it's the system killing your battery. No point installing a NEW AGM type and have that go dead too.

Good luck...

biz

·
Registered
36 Posts
Darth -- Test your charging system...just in case it's the system killing your battery. No point installing a NEW AGM type and have that go dead too.

Good luck...

biz
How does one test the charging system?

Multimeter, testengine off, then start the engine. Voltage should be higher when running.

BTW, battery chargers/tenders/float SHOULD always be used when not in use.........

I run a battery tender on my car/truck over the winter months when in storage.......................

·
Registered
108 Posts
My new 570 is back at the dealer right now. Dropped it off yesterday morning because it was starting hard on the first start of the day. Usually on colder mornings (low to mid 30's) but it did it yesterday when I went to load it up and it was 45 out.
Not sure if its the battery, but it seems like it might be. Weak first crank, dies for a second then catches and starts. I was going to test the battery but I said the hell with it, let the dealer do it. Its only 2 weeks old.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Good luck...

biz
How does one test the charging system?

Multimeter, testengine off, then start the engine. Voltage should be higher when running.

BTW, battery chargers/tenders/float SHOULD always be used when not in use.........

I run a battery tender on my car/truck over the winter months when in storage.......................
I know, after the last time it didn't start, I started putting it on tender for a night once a week.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Are you guys actually using GEL batteries? That's not at all common.

Keep it on a maintainer at all times when you aren't running it.

I had a larger battery tray fabricated for my two sportsman's and my friend's as well. We put in Deka AGM batteries that were about twice the size of stock. Even when the factory batteries were new, the engines didn't crank with the vigor and intensity that they do now. It's a night and day difference. Also helps for plowing.

I mounted a charge port right into the fender so it's super easy to put back on the charger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In the last two weeks, my ATV has TWICE failed to start because the battery is empty.

But the weird part is that I've had it for a year and it always started fine even in -25c but now when it's only like -1 or -2 it won't start. Is this because of some backlog of not charging it and if I once load it fully it won't be an issue anymore or should I just get a new battery?

If I should get a new battery, how will I make it fit in the tiny spot of the current battery, or do good batteries exist that are that small?

I'm on my 3rd battery and i had my 570 for a year. go figure. I discovered the hard way not to expect much from these machines. word of advice....trash it and get a honda.

·
Registered
108 Posts

I had a larger battery tray fabricated for my two sportsman's and my friend's as well. We put in Deka AGM batteries that were about twice the size of stock. Even when the factory batteries were new, the engines didn't crank with the vigor and intensity that they do now. It's a night and day difference. Also helps for plowing.

I mounted a charge port right into the fender so it's super easy to put back on the charger.

The battery does seem pretty small for the machine. Mine cranks weak. I had it to the dealer last week for slow starts. They said everything was fine, then the service manager got pissed when I wouldn't pay a $30 labor fee LOL!! Imagine that.. The ATV is 2 weeks old!!!
Anyway I was thinking of just upgrading the battery. I hate to do it on a brand new machine but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
295 Posts

The battery does seem pretty small for the machine. Mine cranks weak. I had it to the dealer last week for slow starts. They said everything was fine, then the service manager got pissed when I wouldn't pay a $30 labor fee LOL!! Imagine that.. The ATV is 2 weeks old!!!
Anyway I was thinking of just upgrading the battery. I hate to do it on a brand new machine but better safe than sorry.
You can get better batteries that are in the same size range. They really do put a crap battery in it.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts

I'm on my 3rd battery and i had my 570 for a year. go figure. I discovered the hard way not to expect much from these machines. word of advice....trash it and get a honda.
I agree and get a Honda then you can have 3 wheel drive and have no power. Dude if you think Hondas don't have problems you aren't riding enough.

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 55 Posts