Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
looks like the size of the battery is pretty specific. The base has to fit into 4 raised metal tabs and the fit looks pretty snug. 6"x4" ?? I would get good measurements on the old battery or bring it with you when you buy the new one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I probably won't be buying a new battery since it seems that just keeping it on the tender once a week has resolved all my problems. Reason I don't have it on the tender all the time is because I use it daily and I don't have an indoor garage.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I probably won't be buying a new battery since it seems that just keeping it on the tender once a week has resolved all my problems. Reason I don't have it on the tender all the time is because I use it daily and I don't have an indoor garage.
I had mine on a tender at ALL times and it still took a crap! Deka gel batteries is the way to go.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just turned mine over, about 15 mins ago, and its getting worse. Guess I'll have to deal with the pissy little service manager again……..Give me a freaking break..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Purchased my sportsman January 29th of this year and has about 18hrs on it. It is always stored in my garage and kept on a battery tender at all times when not in use. No issues as of yet with the battery, time will tell.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had mine on a tender at ALL times and it still took a crap! Deka gel batteries is the way to go.
Which one are you using?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Too bad anyone has to go through these battery issues with a brand new machine. Sounds like a common problem. Polaris dropped the ball.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
You cannot go wrong with either one of these batteries. Mine sits for 2-3 weeks at a time and I haven't had a problem yet. It seems like I have always had good luck with the POPO batteries for some reason. What is the CCA for the stock battery?

Ronnie

·
Registered
337 Posts
I bought this one, even though my 570SP came with a sealed battery. I always like a backup, so that's what the stock one is for.

Amazon.com: MotoBatt MBTX14AU (12V 16.5 Amp) 190CCA Factory Activated QuadFlex AGM Battery: Automotive
For anyone else that might consider this Motobatt battery.......note that it's 16.5Amp, better than the stock 12amp. I have used this a lot for plowing - most recently on the 2.5 FOOT snowfall we just had here in CO. Three straight hours of plowing (daytime, no lights on), no issues with battery showing any sign of weakness. And it was all tight driveway type of plowing, lots of ups-and-downs with the winch. Also, I keep a battery tender on mine at all times it's not in use.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
the stock batteries have been hit and miss for years now. My stock battery lasted 6 yrs before it crapped out. aka, I had an excuse to buy a better battery and a tender. for some reason the wife prefers me to be reactive rather than proactive. but it is what it is. if it ain't broke don't fix it right?

The higher the AH 1(2a vs 16.5a above) doesn't always equate to better CCA (Cold Cranking Amps). It's the CCA that turns the machine over and that's what you're looking for. The AH (Amp hours) is just how long the battery should have usable power without something charging it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The higher the AH 1(2a vs 16.5a above) doesn't always equate to better CCA (Cold Cranking Amps). It's the CCA that turns the machine over and that's what you're looking for. The AH (Amp hours) is just how long the battery should have usable power without something charging it.
For plowing, where you're often using juice from the battery faster than the machine can replenish it back.....makes sense have something that will last longer, 16amp. CCA is meaningless to me, cuz my rigs sit in a nice comfy 60 degree shop, year round and are EFI so they start like a champ.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had an excuse to buy a better battery and a tender. for some reason the wife prefers me to be reactive rather than proactive. but it is what it is. if it ain't broke don't fix it right?
LOL. Have the same problem here. That's why I just say "hey hon, my battery is broken". :D

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
For plowing, where you're often using juice from the battery faster than the machine can replenish it back.....makes sense have something that will last longer, 16amp. CCA is meaningless to me, cuz my rigs sit in a nice comfy 60 degree shop, year round and are EFI so they start like a champ.
but that is the issue that started the thread. Low battery causing hard start due to lower CCA.

I didn't say 16.5a was a bad thing. Just that CCA's are what you're looking for when you've got hard start issues where the battery isn't turning the starter fast enough to properly start the engine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I put a 320 cca on mine and all is well for 2 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What battery did you get? Did a little looking and 220cca was the best I found.
my .02 . Wrong figure should be 220cca. I am very pleased with my Big Crank but no matter what you can not leave any battery alone for long without a tender.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts