Polaris ATV Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
I put a 320 cca on mine and all is well for 2 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What battery did you get? Did a little looking and 220cca was the best I found.

my .02 . Wrong figure should be 220cca. I am very pleased with my Big Crank but no matter what you can not leave any battery alone for long without a tender.

Mine hasn't been on the tender in 3 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Are you guys, who are replacing their batteries, finding replacements that are the same size as the Polaris toy car battery that comes with the ATV? Do they fit right in the existing spot on the frame??

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Yes, There are exact fit replacement batteries available from many manufacturers. I had my battery out yesterday, and it's a Bikemaster Trugel 14a. I've had it for two years now and it's spends maybe 15 of 30 days on the tender. some times less, some times more. Just depends on how much riding I'm doing, and if my Step son's ATV needs it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good to know…Im going to replace mine in the next week or so and I was just wondering.
I just can't believe what junk the stock battery is.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not all of them are junk,i have 7 ATV and no Tender.
1 battery died after one season,one make it now 6 years and 5 are from 2010
Just seems like a lot of people have trouble with the 2014-2015 570 sportsman batteries. I bought an 07 700 new. got 6 years out of the battery. I did use a float charger on it. The battery on my new 570 is junk right out of the box. Service manager at the dealership even told me that those batteries were "not the greatest" Im sure Polaris knows its an issue but hey… the check is cashed.
I would have gladly paid an extra 100 bucks for the machine to come with a better battery than have to pay the same and have to deal with it on my own.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
If the battery is isolated with a switch it'll do fine even without a tender.
I recently discovered when I use the red kill switch on the handlebars the battery stays up for months. For some obnoxious reason a bunch of electrical is still hot with the key off.

From orbit on my Android.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the last two weeks, my ATV has TWICE failed to start because the battery is empty.

But the weird part is that I've had it for a year and it always started fine even in -25c but now when it's only like -1 or -2 it won't start. Is this because of some backlog of not charging it and if I once load it fully it won't be an issue anymore or should I just get a new battery?

If I should get a new battery, how will I make it fit in the tiny spot of the current battery, or do good batteries exist that are that small?

It's the -14 EPS version.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a brand new 570. It has cranking issues from day 1. I took it back to the dealer requesting a new battery. HO! we tightened your connections and charged the battery says the dealer. Fooey on that! I have a 1996 Sportsman I just bought a new battery for. I swapped the 14 AH battery's with the 4Wheelers. Still No Crank! That's it! I measured the battery access area and ordered a new 21 AH battery. Waiting for it to come in. Meanwhile I will be building a new battery mounting plate and strap for the 8 inch battery.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Most motorsports machines (snowmobiles, motorcycles, atvs, utvs, boats, RVs, etc) have poorly designed electrical systems that include the feature of permanent parasitic current draws with the ignition switched off.
Some are worse some are better. Luck of the draw... My Sportsman will run the battery flat dead in four days with the ignition off. It still runs the battery flat in fourteen days or so with the killswitch in the off position.

A battery disconnect is easy to install and easy to use. My battery stays up for five months at a time with no external intervention with the battery disconnect in the OFF position.
You shut it off every time you shut the machine off.
Used that way it will end your battery problems permanently... no parking next to an outlet and no running a tender all the bloody time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
a battery tender will do the same thing for a few bucks more. The plus is the battery is at 100% 365 days a year and the life of the battery is years and years.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
a battery tender will do the same thing for a few bucks more. The plus is the battery is at 100% 365 days a year and the life of the battery is years and years.
That was not my experience with a tender. Got 3 years out of the first battery when it was hooked to the tender.
When I put the ATV in the shed I disconnect the machine with the disconnect switch. Then I charge it with the Ctek 7002 tender for 24 hours using the reconditioning cycle and then I unplug the tender.
The battery is almost 5 years old now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Did you have a real tender or off brand. I’ve had 2 atv’s, 3 John deers, 2 corvettes and a Camaro all using genuine battery tenders and all works as advertised.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Did you have a real tender or off brand. I’ve had 2 atv’s, 3 John deers, 2 corvettes and a Camaro all using genuine battery tenders and all works as advertised.
Ctek 7002. Good quality microprocessor controlled battery charger and maintainer. It has several cycles. One of them is float maintenance for storage. On float it'll bring the battery up to full charge slowly and then float charge it. They are not cheap.
I've used the 8 step Recondition cycle to bring back waek batteries on flip vehicles. They'll usually last a year or more after I run them on a recondition cycle.
It has a specific charge profile for AGM batteries as well.
Ctek has been making battery reconditioners for many years. They are not cheap but they work extremely well. They aren't miracle workers. If the battery has truly had the radish it will not bring it back to life but I've been able to bring some fairly weak batteries back for another year or even two of use.

The Deltran "Battery Tender" brand is an inexpensive float charger. If the battery is low it'll charge it and keep it charged in storage just like it says on the label. I have used them but I've also had them boil a tractor battery. That left me with less than stellar thoughts about them.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts