Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been wondering about the battery life on my 850. So far everyone I see on this forum ends up having to swap it out. Alot of the Canadian riders don't make it through the first winter before the battery starts to give them issues.

My machine sat for 2 months with no tender or charger and it fired up with ease. So it got me thinking. Maybe the issue is that the EPS models (mine is non EPS) go through batteries much faster. There would be a constant larger draw on the battery. Pair that with snow plowing using a winch alot, and that would be a quick death for these little batteries.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
You may be onto something there...... it makes sense!

Or it could be the "quality" of the replacement battery, some choose. I can usually only get about 2-3 years out of a good battery and 1+ out of a cheapy. So for the extra $20-30 it costs for the good battery and the 1-2+ additional years of use, I've found it much easier to buy a quality AGM Sealed (maint. free) type battery and use my battery tender when it's not in use.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
what was the temperature that you fired it up at? The only issue I have had with the battery is that when riding in the snow and very cold the starter had a ton of drag and the stock battery would not allow this. I also think there is a issue with condensation freezing in the starter a bit.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was warm. Around 3-4 degrees. But it has been sitting for 2 months.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I live in SC. I bought my 2010 550 X2 used in late 2012. It still has the original battery and cranks with no problems. I want to replace it due to its age. Its four years old, but it just want quit. Bike is originally from NC. If its not broke then im not going to fix it. I also carry a small jump box with me on camping trips just in case. I dont keep a tender on it either. Who knows. When it finally quits Ill jump it off and buy an new one

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a '12 850 touring with eps and it actualy came stock with the heavy duty agm battery, dont know if that was because of the eps or not but I also plow with it and have not had any battery issues at all, i do keep a tender on it when not in use as I do with my Rzr, and Ranger.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My 2012 850 touring needed a new battery after 18 months. It was never in cold weather.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I think I am on 7 years with the DEKA in my 700. Many of those first years didn't see tender use either. It still works great. I will put one in my 550 when the stock one goes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Original battery on 2011 850xp Touring LE with over 19,000 mi.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 2011 850 touring with EPS and original battery. I use a tender regularly and it Starts great every time, but my winch power seems lacking? I've been stuck twice this winter and both times the winch (Warn)didn't have the power to pull me out. Ideas anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I have 2011 850 touring with EPS and original battery. I use a tender regularly and it Starts great every time, but my winch power seems lacking? I've been stuck twice this winter and both times the winch (Warn)didn't have the power to pull me out. Ideas anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you have been able to use a snatch block? This doubles pulling power.

·
Registered
575 Posts
My machine has had EPS for 2 of its 3 years, my original battery is starting to go bad, but it still starts and runs the machine, just gives me some problems when plowing. Its always on a tender, but in an unheated garage, and this has been a really cold and long winter. I ordered an Odyssey PC925L to take its place. My original battery has ALOT of plowing time on it, I'm pleased with the life I got out of it, cause the factory battery was only a 14 a/hr model, not a 30 a/hr like what can actually fit.

FYI, the factory Polaris batteries are Deka's with a Polaris sticker on them.

·
Registered
575 Posts
FYI, the factory Polaris batteries are Deka's with a Polaris sticker on them.

I wonder what year they cutover? The stock battery in my old 700 was lead acid and not AGM.
I probably shoulda been a little more clear, The polaris AGM batteries are deka's, I can't say for sure on the older lead acid batteries

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed a battery charger that is hooked up right to the battery so its fast to plug in no seat removal just plug in and leave it on until next ride it keep
a charged battery and also keeps it warm. cost is about $40.00 suppose to extend life by five times.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts