Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 sportsman 800. It sat for a long time and when I dug it out of the garage this year it was dead. Put a new battery in it. But now the battery light is always blinking and the speedo blinks and doesn't work. The quad runs fine I drove it a bunch of times this summer. I used a volt meter it's got good power at the battery and is charging too. In the diagnostics screen it shows the voltage as .7 whether its running or not. I didn't get any check engine codes. Any ideas on what to check?

Thanks Tony

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
WELCOME TONY!

New batteries are not fully charged... Put that sucker on a trickle charge. While your waiting, completely clean all connections. Then under your front rack check the wires going into the fuses. Ill bet you have corrosion issues.

One member reciently did a nice write up on this issue. He swapped in auto parts sealed fuse holders. Soldered all connections and fixed the issues once and for all! The stock setup is open to the elements and once wet a couple times will begin to corrode. Corrosion is resistance and that's what that light is seeing. Incorrect voltage.

Good luck,
CW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I know it's not a battery issue. It's been on the charger a couple times. Has lots of juice. But I will check the wires again thanks for the reply

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Well I know it's not a battery issue. It's been on the charger a couple times. Has lots of juice. But I will check the wires again thanks for the reply

Is this a EFI? If so you may need to clear all codes.

Disconnect batt and re check. How is fluid level? Have you checked every cell to see if its correct? New dosent eliminate it from suspicion.

CW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not the battery. It's new correctly filled charged ect. As I stated there is no engine codes coming up. The battery was disconnected a dozen times. Yes efi.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Sorry I could not help, looks like you have the answers.

CW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I had the answers I wouldn't be asking. I'm just saying its not the battery. It's been checked a dozen times. I have a voltmeter the battery is obviously fully charged but the little computer thingy is saying its only got o.7 volts which is obviously wrong as the quad wouldn't start if it only had .7 volts. I am asking what would cause it to say its low.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Question asked and possible answers provided, if you choose to read and listen.

Good luck my friend,

CW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I choose to listen? Just cuz a person is new to this board doesn't make them an idiot. I listened. You keep saying battery. I'm telling u checked the battery a dozen times it's not the battery. I have even swapped batteries with a buddies quad and no difference.
You said corrosion I doubted it as it has little use and sits in a garage mostly. But yesterday even checking everything I could see in there and I can't find any corrosion any where.
So saying I already checked it multiple times means I'm not listening?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Tony,

Cool your jets brother. People come here all the time with a question looking for an answer. Most times that answer is not something they want to hear. Most are not herd from again. That's a shame as this is a great I formative forum with loads of great info and members.

You asked because you do not know. I suggested some common problems and possible fixes. Electrical problems ESP modern electrical problems are pretty black and white. Meaning it works or it don't. When you get issues like your explaining its nearly always a bad connection or a bad battery. If you have so thouroughly checked everything out before posting your question. I am even more sure that its something that you overlooked.

These quads of ours see water, mud and dry arid environments most also see long periods of Inactivity. These things are a breeding ground for corrosion and fuel breakdown issues. Combine that with most folks abusing them literally or by not properly maintaining them. We see many of the same questions popping up.

I do not think your anything buy a guy with a flashing batt symbol. I answered your questions with a respectful tone. No I do not thnk new members are idiots. But getting upset at someone Tring to help will not get you very far either.

I wish you luck with your problems.

CW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry I could not help, looks like you have the answers.

CW
Question asked and possible answers provided, if you choose to read and listen.

Sounds pretty condescending to me.

I told you it's not the battery it's been checked many times. Charged. Levels. Voltmeter. Switched out battery. Cables. Ground ect ect. When I say that, you basically call me a asshole with all the answers go screw myself. All I'm asking is what else is there to check? Does anyone know which wire the computer picks up the voltage info from? Or is it possibly the actual instrument panel pod? Could the resistence be inside there?
I have searched here and other places online I seen a few threads that seemed similar but no answers. But most battery light blinking threads are yes people not knowledgable enough to know if there battery is toast or to figure out there charging system isn't working. I tested the battery and charging I know it's good. What I don't understand is why the instrument panel says I'm only getting .7 volts???

·
Registered
94 Posts
I also had same problem. Found bad stator and regulator.

·
Registered
94 Posts
One of the coils on the stator was burned. I replaced the regulator as a precaution. The 2 are related to each other. Just by coincidence, all of my 3 headlight bulbs were blown.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I asked about the charging reading because my service guy said they will tend to overcharge when burned like that,,,mine was showing up to 18+ volts,,,,mine was burned on one pole ,I only changed my stator,, luckily I didn't drive it enough to boil the Battery or blow bulbs,,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.