Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI. The only modification to the ATV is an oversized piston in the engine. I notice occasionally at high RPM, say 50+ mph, the battery light will start to flash and the ATV will start to lose power. Once you slow down to below 50+ mph, the flashing will stop and the ATV rides normal. The battery is new. Is there a rev limiter in this ATV and how does it work? Please advise on what I can check to resolve this issue.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Voltage regulator problem, sounds like it is overcharging.

Check the charging system.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a way to check the charging system specifically the voltage regulator? Where is the voltage regulator located on a 2007 Sportsman 500? Once again, I changed the battery hoping it would resolve the issue but it did not.. So we can eliminate the battery.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yes. I should recommend a service manual for your wheeler. You can download a pdf version to your computer. I know it has saved me hours of shop time having that information on hand.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
860 Posts
Check your battery voltage not running should be 12 to13 volts then start it up recheck batt voltage while reving the engine shouldn't read any more then 14 to 14.8 volts or so if its considerably higher u need a regulator

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check your battery voltage not running should be 12 to13 volts then start it up recheck batt voltage while reving the engine shouldn't read any more then 14 to 14.8 volts or so if its considerably higher u need a regulator
Ok.. Will check it tomorrow....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there a way to verify that the stator is not the problem? The voltage regulator for my ATV is $350. I want to make sure I purchase the correct part.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
There is a procedure for testing the stator in the service manual.

What voltage did you get on the battery at RPM? It is the regulators job to take the 60vac from the stator, rectify it to DC, and regulate it to 14.5sh VDC.

My PDM had water intrusion. It has 4 screws on the back of it that hold the cover on. Had lots of corrosion in mine. Might be worth checking.

Sean

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is a procedure for testing the stator in the service manual.

What voltage did you get on the battery at RPM? It is the regulators job to take the 60vac from the stator, rectify it to DC, and regulate it to 14.5sh VDC.

My PDM had water intrusion. It has 4 screws on the back of it that hold the cover on. Had lots of corrosion in mine. Might be worth checking.

Sean
I ran the test this afternoon. The DC volts reading on the battery without the engine running is 12.80 volts. With the engine running and with RPM, the battery reading is around 14.60 volts. It will not exceed 15 volts even with high RPM. So based on that test, it looks like the voltage regulator is working. So, what's next to check. Once again, the only modification to the ATV is an oversized piston.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Have you had the battery load tested?

Sean

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you had the battery load tested?

Sean
This is a new OEM battery from Polaris... It did the same thing with the old battery. I thought replacing the battery would solve the problem.. So I don't think its the battery. What's next to check?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The ignition coil could be weak. At higher RPM it has to create a field and collapse it much faster than at lower rpm. What you may be experience is the coil breaking down.

Check your primary and secondary resistance of the coil. Also, while you're at it, check your plug wire. If there is any cracks on it then consider replacing it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts