·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi to all.
Looking for a little help with my quad.
A shrot history could help.
2010 Sportsman 500 HO
This past summer my battery light started to flash while riding with the lights on or when the fan would cycle on. I thought....I guess my battery was going and I replaced it. I was able to go out on a few times. Maybe 10-20 hours(never charged the new battery). The quad sat in my garage for about 6weeks and I tried to start it and the battery was near dead.
I bought a trickle charger and charged it. It took about 8 hours then a couple days later, charged it again....it took about 5 hours that time. I waited a week and tried charging it again, it was fully charged in about 20 minutes.
I went out hunting this past week and after a day or so the light started to flash again when the lights or fan was on. Day 2 I tried to start my quad while up on the mountain and just clicks. NOOOOOOOOOOO. I called someone to run up the mountain and give me a jump. The strange thing was that after the jump the battery light didnt flash for the first 10 min of the trip back to the cabin and the lights were on the whole time. I WILL CONTINUE WITH HISTORY

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When I got home I charged the battery again. Waited a day and took it the Advance Auto and had it load tested.
12.66V, 231CCA, Good
I took some voltage readings tonight and this was my results
After 5 min running 1300RPM-14V
With lights on 12.3V
With lights and fan running 12.10V
Lights off it would start to climb slowly to about 12.9V

Every time the fan would cycle on I would turn the lights on and the volts seem to go down a little more each time.
After a half an hour and 6 fan cycles later my reading were 11.85 with both lights and fan on and only climb to about 12.4V with them off.

HELP PLEASE

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well..I have heard they don't charge well at idle. Were all your test voltages taken at idle? Should be 12.5sh not running and 14.5sh revved up a little.

With what I have seen here and my personal experience, my GUESS would be the regulator. I don't know ifyours is a stand alone unit or part of a PDM. PDMs aren't cheap.

Sean

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sean,
Thanks for the input.
Readings were taken at idle but the issue happens even when when buzzing along at 30mph plus.
It slowly works the battery down. So, either it is not charging enough (reg or mag)to replace volts being used or the battery, although only 6 months old has a bad cell. I know it was load tested "good" but I charged it the day prior.

It is strange. after a trickle charge I can cold start it and about 5 mins in I will get around 14V but the longer it runs/fan cycles the lower the volts go.

When I started the test last night the volts were 12.66 not running and after a half an hour test of lights and fan cycles the not running volts were 12.4

Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sean,
Thanks for the input.
Readings were taken at idle but the issue happens even when when buzzing along at 30mph plus.
It slowly works the battery down. So, either it is not charging enough (reg or mag)to replace volts being used or the battery, although only 6 months old has a bad cell. I know it was load tested "good" but I charged it the day prior.

It is strange. after a trickle charge I can cold start it and about 5 mins in I will get around 14V but the longer it runs/fan cycles the lower the volts go.

When I started the test last night the volts were 12.66 not running and after a half an hour test of lights and fan cycles the not running volts were 12.4

Tom
This happened to mine (2012 500 HO), it was the voltage regulator. Mine was covered under warranty and all has been well since.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
problem fixed

For anyone having the same issue I will finish this thread with, the voltage regulator was my problem. Very easy to put a new one in. My machine(2010 Sportsman 500ho) it was located right below the headlight pod. There is a little panel that pops out. Some of the older models, I have read it is located on the frame near the radiator.
Cost was about $75.00.

Tom

·
Registered
729 Posts
Glad you got your charging problem straightened out , one thing you may want to consider is purchasing a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. It is a very good float charger for your battery. I plug mine in after every ride and it keeps it fully charged and the cells in good shape , your battery will last you much longer. It comes with a quick connect you mount right to the battery,just plug it in. Got mine at Autozone for $35.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead, but after riding last night, my machine did the same thing. I got stuck and was sitting at an idle waiting for a friend of mine to back his machine to me to give me a tug, and the battery light came on and the speedometer needle started to flash. I shut the machine off and it started back up fine, but the battery symbol and needle would flash every now and then. Also did it while winching, but I figured that would probably be normal. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow since it only has less than 100 miles on the machine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone figure out this problem i have a 2005 Polaris sportsman 500 runs good brand new battery and i was riding it my battery light came on and went off and came back kept doing this and im trying to find out what should i do and another thing i need help with why it my engine hot light coming on after a few mins of riding what should i do 1st to fix these problems dont wanna take it down to dealer ship when i can fix it my self i just dont wanna replace parts that dont need to replace

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
First work on the battery problem - check the battery terminals and the stator, rec/reg wiring connections - if there is no failed component, just unplugging the wires and plugging them back in might fix it - problems that come and go are usually traced to loose or poor connections - that includes where the battery connects to the frame and any harness chassis grounds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts