Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of trickle charger do you all use to maintain your batteries through the winter? I am a little leery of using one because I had one for my boat and it fried both batteries. Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I have a battery tender jr. and an identical model from Drag Specialties. I've used them both for years without a problem.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just purchased the battery tender junior I'll let you jnow how it worked when I get home. My battery died on me over the cold snap so I boosted the battery tried to do some plowing but there wasnt enough juice in the batt so I ran the crappy tire to purchase it installed it right away and we'll see how it worked when I get home.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have the Tender Jr's on my Harley and Sportsman. Nice little chargers. Never had any issues

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have been using this charger Amazon.com: Schumacher SP2 1 Amp Battery Charger/Maintainer: Automotive... but now I have 2 machines....so i need another....i am getting the CTEK 7002 ...the Schumacher SP2 has worked flawlesly....Now a friend of mine stores his in a shed 150 feet from house....so he got a solar maintainer....just position it for the most exposure during the day light...he loves it....I believe its just about 1 amp...he has a full battery on cold days...even if not driven in a week or more.....

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
c-tek 3300

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I use a mix and match of them but this is probably the best one I have.

BatteryMINDer Model 1500

I use this for my heavier charging needs. (Schumacher SC-10030A SpeedCharge 2/12-30/100 Amp Automatic Charger and Maintainer)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
As long as you get a good maintainer...the feature of the desulfator to me is very important....my boat has a 3 bank charger/maintainer..with a desulfator. My batteries stay fresh all winter...ready to go in spring...full charge....my trolling motor is 24v and i go all day on the 2 batteries ...so the maintainer works

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a Battery Tender. Works great. About $29 up here in Canada. It has the connections that are permanently on the machine so you just plug in. I alternate it from my snowblower and the 550 and whatever else needs it. You can buy extra connecters, either in alligator style or permanent plug ins. Buddy has them and alternates them on his farm tractors and equipment and they seem to keep everything at full charge.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I use the Battery Tender. I bought the 'El cheapo' brand at Harbour Freight and it was overcharging the batteries.

·
Registered
505 Posts
What brand did you buy cause I was under the impression that they all stop the charge cycle and just maintian the battery at its full capacity

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
like i said i been using the Schumacher SP2 and has been great....it charges then float charges when needed...but i need another one so i am getting a CTEK for my other machine...I want one with a desulfurnator...

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have never used/needed a battery maintainer. i even mentioned this on another post.
Well I kind of got to thinking that maybe I should think about using one. I noticed that the one desulfides and maintains. It says it makes your battery last 2 times as long. Then I saw the price. $59.00 plus shipping and maybe even tax. I can almost buy another battery for that. Well not the whole battery but at least half of one.
I don't do plowing or winching. This will be the third season for my battery. The first sound it is getting weak and I will stuff another one in its place and put off a battery maintainer till they come down in price.

I ride my machine at least twice a week taking out the trash cans and then bringing them back in which is keeping it charged I guess.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have been using this charger Amazon.com: Schumacher SP2 1 Amp Battery Charger/Maintainer: Automotive... but now I have 2 machines....so i need another....i am getting the CTEK 7002 ...the Schumacher SP2 has worked flawlesly....Now a friend of mine stores his in a shed 150 feet from house....so he got a solar maintainer....just position it for the most exposure during the day light...he loves it....I believe its just about 1 amp...he has a full battery on cold days...even if not driven in a week or more.....
Just buy another lead that connects to the battery. Thats what I did. I have one on my atv and one on my bike. $5 is better than spending another $30+. I just rotate the charger from vehicle.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hope this isn't a double post.

You guys that are using the Schumacher SP2 brands.. I can't seem to find where they say they Desulfied.
Am I missing something?

·
Registered
75 Posts
My vote would be for the Battery Tender Jr. I have been using Battery Tender Jr's on my motorcycles for years ever since a mechanic at the Harley dealer suggested them to me. Ive had them on three different road bikes and now I have one on my Sportsman. Just installed it yesterday. Great product IMO, and I have never had a problem with one. Just connect the lead to the battery terminals and plug it in when you park it. Good luck with whatever you choose.

You can find the Battery Tender Jr around here in most auto parts stores and Walmart. I think they price has gone up slightly but they run around $30-40 bucks for the Jr.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts