Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 2011 polaris sportsman 500 with 136 hours. When test drove 3 days ago, nonsealed battery working fine.
So I read the manual about battery maintenance, buy a battery tender, and yank the battery to check the fluid level as suggested in owner's manual.
Well herein lies the problem: I cannot see any fluid when I view the battery from the side. The high and low water marks are there, but see no fluid. Wonder if I am blind as there must be some fluid there for the battery to be functioning. Guess I will just reinstall battery and attach the "tender".
Any thoughts or technique to better visualize the fluid level?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Try adding some distilled water to an outer cell that will show level...little at a time..see if you see it raise some..or go buy a cheap battery charge indicator with balls in it...dip it in a cell to see if you get any electrolyte....they are 2,50 at china mart...may as well while battery is out...

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
When I tried to revive the 400's battery last week (no luck it was toast)..... I used a flashlight from the back side, shined at the min/max lines of each cell. Add distilled water to just under max line in each cell and charge. May also want to pick up a tiny funnel too. I use one for filling the wicked oil filled candles...... Shhhhh, don't tell I stole it from the wife!! :D

Hate to say it but if it's a non-sealed battery, and a 2011 original..... it may have gave up the ghost in this cold weather. Follow the above steps, as they are cheap enough to at least try. I only ever get these non-sealed batteries to last 1-2 years max. If it is dead, buy yourself a good sealed (maintenance free) ADM battery ($75-80) and a tender/maintainer ($20-25) and install.... should get a good 3-4 out of it then (depending on use and weather).

·
Registered
112 Posts
FYI guys.......I've had great luck with Chrome and Pirate (I kid U not) Batteries. Actually the same company. I've gotten 2 batteries from them and so far have been great. $41.90 shipped to your door for a YTX14AH-BS AGM. (Go directly to their Web site as it is $10.00 cheaper than there Fleabay store. . I was a bit skeptical at first but the contruction seems on par with all the other AGM's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts